MKV playback 1080P performance problems
I have a habit of converting my purchased BD titles into MKV format (lossless video, lossless HD audio) to make it easily accessible through my file server.

Playback is done on an Apple Mac Mini 2011 with 8GB RAM. I have both OSX and Win7 installed and I have tried XBMC on both platforms. This problem is the same for both platforms. The only difference is that audio is downcoded into DTS Surround on OSX because there does not seem to be support for HD Audio passthrough in OSX.

The problem is that playback of these lossless MKV files stutters, and as soon as large parts of the screen is updated at once there are digital video disturbances where large parts of the screen are corrupted for a second or two (strange colors, extremely pixelated, sometimes blacked out), kind of when reception of digital TV signals are too weak. The audio seems to keep playing normally though. I haven't had the patience to watch this for more than a minute or two so I don't know if audio eventually fails as well.

Since XBMC only support samba based network transfer that's what I'm using. However, I've tried playing the same files from a USB hard drive but the problem is still the same.

I have played the same files through other playback software (VLC & Macblurayplayer) on both Win7 and OSX and the play fine. However, neither XBMC or Plex (on OSX) are able to play these files.

I have tried the official 11.0 release of XBMC as well as the latest night build.

Does anybody have any idea?
Since it is Intel chip, you might need to do as I suggested to another user in this thread- post #13....

If you interesting in bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The bitstreaming is working in XBMC on Windows but not on OSX so I'm guessing it's a platform issue, not an XBMC issue.

Most of the stuff suggested was already in place or could not be installed (like the Intel management driver thing) but disabling the hardware acceleration seems to have done the trick. Thanx a million!!! Smile
(2012-07-07, 14:00)MrOCM Wrote: but disabling the hardware acceleration seems to have done the trick. Thanx a million!!! Smile
I'm glad that it is working okay now.......Nod

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MKV playback 1080P performance problems0