Win once xmbc is up, my computer has no sound
Music 
Hey,
I have been trying out your beta versions, and for the last few versions (cant remember the first one it appeared on), the moment xbmc loads up, my computer does not play any sound at all, from any application.

I looked at the volume mixer (win7), and the bars of the sound level dont move as well. once i close xbmc (which also functions quite unresponsively, so often i have to kill it) the xbmc icon in the volume mixer turns into "Name not available", and remains this way some time.

while xbmc is up, i tried going into playback devices, properties, advanced and hit the "Test" button, i get "The device is being used by another application..." error message, again, until i have to kill xbmc (closing does not kill the process..)

i have an image of the volume mixer, but i dont see where to upload images in this forum..

the version i recently used is XBMCSetup-20120705-76b11c2-master.exe

if you need more info, let me know

Thanks!
yup, that's the cost of running the exclusive mode wasapi API.
what does it mean for me? is it a problem that the devs are aware of and would get fixed soon? is it something configurable from my end? should i just revert back to a working version?
Well, there's two things going on here.

One is that XBMC will have sole use of audio when it is open.

The other is that something is causing the nightly build you are using to crash, most likely unrelated to any sound issue. It's just that since XBMC has control over the audio, and it has frozen/crashed/whatever, then you're stuck having to kill XBMC to get back sound.

If you just need to get XBMC working again, try installing the previous nightly build and so on until it works again. If you want, you can also help us find out why it's crashing. The XBMC Wiki page Troubleshooting (wiki) has some tips on this, like testing XBMC without add-ons to see if it's an add-on, or where to find crash reporter files for your OS (might actually be on the link to the Windows-specific troubleshooting page), etc. That's up to you, though.
(2012-07-05, 20:23)Ned Scott Wrote: The other is that something is causing the nightly build you are using to crash, most likely unrelated to any sound issue. It's just that since XBMC has control over the audio, and it has frozen/crashed/whatever, then you're stuck having to kill XBMC to get back sound.

The issue is most likely this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/1053 (see comments) - I'm affected by this too, but this is something that we should expect when running bleeding edge nightlies. Big Grin

For Windows, quick way to "kill" XBMC that has been hung on the backround is to either use command line or create small batch file:

Code:
taskkill /IM XBMC.exe /F

That will shut down XMBC and release the audio device.
Kodi @ Windows Server 2012 R2 | Pulse-Eight USB-CEC Adapter

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
once xmbc is up, my computer has no sound0