Win XBMC Monitor
Hello everyone,
I made this thread to help out people/developers who stare at the log file for several hours trying to know what did go wrong with their python script and/or XML windows, like me Huh

I find that the xbmc.log file is a big chunk of unorganized block of text that was hard to search for what did go wrong in the application/add-on that is currently being tested specially when it needed to refresh constantly, so i wrote a little utility that sorts these information based on the severity levels from the wiki and make it somehow readable and make the development process less painful.

you can find it here: http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-monitor

I would like to hear your thoughts/opinions or if you have suggestions, However note this program was written solely to speed up my development process and is not by any-means commercial.

enjoy Smile
I wrote a program to program my program ! - programception.
Hey - surprised no one has tried this or mentioned it - but maybe cause there isn't any info and no screenshots to sow people what they will get. Maybe you should also add to the wiki list of supplementary tools ( http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Sup...ls/Windows ).

It's definitely handy and helps with readability for sure:

Couple things, if you plan to take this further:

- I don't think the icon should be the XBMC logo - it's confusing on the taskbar, maybe the logo with a text document overlay or something?
- If you resize the window smaller, it doesn't re-draw the log so you lose the bottom lines
- A context menu for cut and paste would be nice (It works with keyboard keys)
- A connection to pastebin for posting the log directly would be cool
- Stick the source up on GoogleCode and you might get some people helping out!
- Would be great if this were written in something cross platform....

Thanks for your efforts!
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I'm VERY Glad you liked it bossanova !
I'll definitely take your notes into consideration specially that i get confused too in the taskbar Big Grin

I'll update it with source code once i get home, currently @ work :S.

However what language would you have suggested to be cross-platform !

Edit: Updated to v1.1 except for the pastebin connection Smile , I've done something similar mimicking a POST request and processing the response etc, I've also done alot of hair pulling in the process Big Grin
Screen:

Thanks for the feedback ^^
Great help - thanks Smile
Noli illegitimi carborundum

Thank you for the usefull tool, but I have a small request... Blush

Currently looks like it always read the log from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log". Would it be possible to enhance it to read from somewhere else? The reason is I install XBMC to other directory and configure it the portable way (I'm on Win7x64). A configuration option to specify the XBMC log's location would be perfect (with the default point to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log")

Anyway, thank you...
(2012-07-11, 02:37)kippax Wrote: Thank you for the usefull tool, but I have a small request... Blush

Currently looks like it always read the log from "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log". Would it be possible to enhance it to read from somewhere else? The reason is I install XBMC to other directory and configure it the portable way (I'm on Win7x64). A configuration option to specify the XBMC log's location would be perfect (with the default point to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\xbmc.log")

Anyway, thank you...

Check out v1.2 Smile
I just use BareTail, as it has custom labelling.

http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretail/

(2012-07-11, 11:30)Xive Wrote: Check out v1.2 Smile

Wow, that's fast.. Thank you. Blush
(2012-07-11, 12:58)hippojay Wrote: I just use BareTail, as it has custom labelling.

http://www.baremetalsoft.com/baretail/

You see i didn't write this to compete with any kind of other viewers out there - as i said before - but since you brought it up in such programs the error details doesn't get highlighted with the error color as its in a new line (explaining what caused the error), and it doesn't have filtering (like removing the whole line with its details if you match the "label"), it was built generally for any kind of log file not XBMC's not to mention it costs $ for a full version.

I thought i would write my own with my exact needs for free, I found it really handy so i thought i'd share it with the community.

@kippax: your welcome Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Monitor1