Xbmc vs windowsmc vs freevo
i have had an xbox for a a few years now.  i modded it day 1 and have mostly used it for playing games and watching video on it.  i used to just ftp the media to the xbox and then watch it from there using either xbmc or xbmp.  i recently tried streaming the video over smb shares and i got mixed results.  mp3's worked great, pictures worked so-so and video worked 1/2 and 1/2.  my beef with the pics was that it didn't scroll quickly from one picture to another.  i could zoom and rotate easily but if  just wanted to jump from pic to pic it was sluggish.  my beef with the movies is divided into two categories.  first dvd's: when i rip my dvd's on to my pc i usually create a folder, give it a name, and dump the vob's, ifo's and such on there and everything on the dvd  into that folder.  when navigating around with xbmc i would like to go to that folder and just "play dvd" not search for the videots file and then click that.  second, i think its great that we were given support in xbmc for dvd image files (iso, img) but if you try to fastforward or rewind my xbox freezes up to where i have to power cycle it...  why not disable ff and rew when viewing dvd image files.  

so i went and bought a linksys wmce54ag and it was close...  but no cigar.  i found that it was unable to play many video formats like .avi and dvd's!!  so i researched it and i found a nice tidbit of info.  see here  basically they won't let you stream your dvd's over the network beacause they are in cahoots with mpaa and riaa or whatever...

now, i'm thinking about going to freevo...  i haven't treid it yet but i was hoping to get some feedback on this whole post...  sorry to write a novel here but hopefully someone out there has been there before...
Quote:why not disable ff and rew when viewing dvd image files.
disable it because you have problems ? i can ff and rew without any problem.

Quote:i found that it was unable to play many video formats like .avi and dvd's

clearly either your network has issues and/or you are running an old version of xbmc. (you are even mentioning xbmp = old)

it plays any format you can imagine, xbmc (=mplayer) can handle all of them including formats you have never heard of, actually it plays more formats than my pc.

if you have issues with .iso try renaming them to .img or the other way around.

doesn't it make you wonder that you are the only one complaining ?

check this link: http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/info_proj...nt_release
there you see all the supported formats.

and from another perspective; since i have the xbox with xbmc, i have convinced about 7 collegues and/or friends about xbmc and now own a xbox with xbmc and are still impressed every single day, just like me.
you missread, he had problems with the linksys to play avi/dvd..
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(elupus @ july 23 2005,18:29 Wrote:you missread, he had problems with the linksys to play avi/dvd..
i might have misread, but the copyright limitation he is referring to has nothing to do with .avi's and/or dvd's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc vs windowsmc vs freevo0