Hide library items when removable device is not connected
Situation: I have a few movies on my internal drive, and a whole bunch on a usb drive. All of them are in the xbmc library. When the usb drive is disconnected/unavailable, I would like to see only the available movies (i.e., only those on the internal drive) when I browse the library.

This could be an advanced settings option or an item in the view options menu in library mode, called "Hide unavailable items" or something.

Sounds like an idea? Or is this already possible?
Using smart playlists you can come part of the way: you can create a smart playlist that shows only files in certain paths, excluding those that are removable.

For a more elegant solution a redesign of the database and the way media is handled would be needed.
For example, it would be nice if you could mark certain media sources as "removable". All media on a currently offline source could than be displayed with an overlay icon or be greyed out. And instead of a message to remove unavailable content from the library when you try to play something you could have a message like "make sure that xxxxx is available".
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
(2012-07-07, 00:20)trasdahl Wrote: Situation: I have a few movies on my internal drive, and a whole bunch on a usb drive. All of them are in the xbmc library. When the usb drive is disconnected/unavailable, I would like to see only the available movies (i.e., only those on the internal drive) when I browse the library.

This could be an advanced settings option or an item in the view options menu in library mode, called "Hide unavailable items" or something.

Sounds like an idea? Or is this already possible?

That may be something you could do with whatever skin you are using.

There was a mod in the add-on forum about different flags for films. You could customise your flags (was used primarily for watched/new), but you could make one that was like USB or whatever and then that displayed on films that were on the USB drive. If I recall correctly, that little mod had like 10 images, 1-10, each representing a drive. But you could edit them to suit.

Before Aeon Nox 3, I had edited the skin so that on my list view, rather than showing me the writer, it told me what the path was. It was an easy mod, just basically copying a line from the info screen xml to the lowlist view xml. Anyway, then when I was browsing my directory, I could see what film was on what drive, so I knew what I could watch based on which drives were turned on.

Anyway, that thing you could probably easily (and I say easily with reservations...I was able to scrap something together, but I had a lot of help from a patient Big_Noid) put together. Good luck Smile
You can do it as as PM-SYM and fional suggested, which both solve part of the problem, which making it easier for you to identify/differentiate the sources.
However, I wish there was a way to not hide the movie/series, but to make it look transparent or shady if it is not available (not only for external HDD, but also for remote server/NAS). This will let you know that you do have the movie/series, but you don't have it online (active) right now. This will also force skinners to handle this state (instead of adjusting a skin yourself, which need an adjust with every update to the skin). Also, I always wished there was a way to show an Icon for the source location (Local/LAN/On the web/Addon-sourced video/audio). So you can add media sources to your library, and know which on is local, and which one is remote. Also with video addon, you can have a movie/episode stream pointing to an addon that stream this video, and have this stream show the logo of the addon (e.g. YouTube, Hulu, Netflix,..etc). I know that some of them are not supported, but you never know.
+1 for this feature

...maybe some kind of "dynamic libary" feature

- anybody can bring in his own removable media which contents an seperate xbmc libary (scanned by third party xbmc)

if you attach the device...xbmc looks for a specific file ".xbmc-removable" for example and than adds the content of the attached media as a seperate media library until you detach it again.

what do you think?
cu
Question 
Hello,

I am using XBMC 12.1

Did there happen anything that helps doing the task descibed Huh
I also miss a feature where I can hide movies from external HDDs not connected.

Please tell me if there is a plugin available doing this.

GreeT`s Erich
I would welcome a dynamic library as well.. I sometime forget that I haven't connected external drive and when I clean library, I almost always lose part of my collection.. Sad
~Web and graphic designer... Linux enthusiast... Python Fan... A Gooner~
[AMD A10-7850K 3.7 Ghz, Radeon R7]
[Fedora 27] | [Kodi - 17.6 / Skin - Grid]

I need this function too!
a new one user here!

first of all, sorry for my english

I have the same problem as the other user says. This commented feature it is very useful, in my case I have a lots of external usb drives, so, i don't want the inside files to be shown if the disk is not connected at precise time
(2012-12-23, 04:31)tesona1977 Wrote: +1 for this feature

...maybe some kind of "dynamic libary" feature

- anybody can bring in his own removable media which contents an seperate xbmc libary (scanned by third party xbmc)

if you attach the device...xbmc looks for a specific file ".xbmc-removable" for example and than adds the content of the attached media as a seperate media library until you detach it again.

what do you think?

This would be awesome.
Absolutely. Have been looking for something like this.

I think it's fairly common to have something external for mass storage. And a laptop.
So I'd love to have something like this working where I can have recorded series on their usb-stick, plugin in, browse & play play, and remove again.
Im also interested in this having many remote sources this would be ideal if i could see source i had to connect
Would love this too.
Sounds as what you are actually asking for is proper offline-files support (or rather offline-source support) in Kodi.

If so then there are already plenty of threads with people asking for the same or similar feature, just do a search for with the keyword "offline"

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=48895
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=196545
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=205921

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hide library items when removable device is not connected1