Sharing playlists with UPnP
Hi,

Is it possible to share XBMC(-Music)-Playlists via upnp? I was pretty happy using this Feature with foobar and kinda miss it now Sad

Thc.
nothing?
Hello,

I have a same problem with 2 xbmc (xbmcbuntu and openelec).
I don't have the solution, but I am in the way of share the playlists of one system (in UPNP/DLNA share) to other system.
You can see: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=137658

Cordially.
I don't believe playlists are shared at this time when XBMC is acting as a UPnP server.
Any update on this?

So unless I am wrong, there is no ability to have playlists on a upnp client because you cannot create one as there is no local library. So if you cant share them either, is this just a feature that doesnt work for this scenario?
(2014-07-24, 22:49)westcoastbias Wrote: So unless I am wrong, there is no ability to have playlists on a upnp client because you cannot create one as there is no local library.
I haven't done this with Music, but I've certainly had no trouble setting up a playlist of video items through XBMC as a UPnP client - just set up the queue as normal, and then hit Save. Haven't had any problems with this method at all.
XBMC now shares playlists, tags, even files not scanned into the library, all via UPnP.
Quote:XBMC now shares playlists, tags, even files not scanned into the library, all via UPnP.

I'm playing with streaming, so far unsuccessfully. My motivation is to stream videos from my shiny new Chromebox XBMC/OpenELEC player to my wife's Nook HD+ while she is laid up recovering from foot surgery.

I've installed UPnPlayer on the Nook and enabled UPnP on my XBMC. I can see the external USB drives in the files list but no files. I can play local media files on the Nook with UPnPlayer so it appears to be set up correctly.

My file naming conventions seem to break all the scrapers so it seems all my "libraries" are empty, but I don't really care about that as navigating the file names is more than sufficient.

I'm currently in the unhappy no-man's land of not knowing if the problem is on the Nook side or the XBMC side of things. I'd be grateful for any help in getting playing "even files not scanned into the library" working.

I've never really cared about streaming our media files before, my only prior attempt was with some lame DirectTV software and TVersity on windows long ago which never worked well enough (quality wise) to be worth the trouble -- we're now 100% Linux.
Followup:
A bit of Google found this UPnP script using djmount:

Code:
#!/bin/bash

cd
if [ ! -d upnp ]; then
mkdir upnp; chmod 777 upnp
sudo modprobe fuse
sudo djmount -o allow_other upnp/
xdg-open upnp
else
sudo fusermount -u upnp
rmdir upnp
echo umount upnp and rmdir
fi

It finds my XBMC Chromebox and lets me browse to my external drives but shows no files, same as the Nook client Sad

Looks like the problem is on the XBMC side of things. Apparently djmount is broken for Ubuntu 14.04 according to where I found it
( http://askubuntu.com/questions/88754/upn...mendations ).
Now I'm back at the problem being on the Nook side of things. Managed to add a few music & video files to the library, (most of my file naming conventions break the scrappers) and am now able to play the file video and music files on my Ubuntu desktop after running the djmount script I'd found and mentioned above.

Its seems UPnP can only stream things that are referenced in the library.

Songs in the music library play on the Nook, the videos (rips of DVDs made from OTA recordings with a GoVideo DVD-Recorder box so the mpeg2 bitrates are modest, these types of files play on the Nook from the SD card) just give me a black screen in the nook media player and the XBMC UI gets sluggish until I quit the Nook player app, so my solution if any will now have to be found on the Nook side of things now that I've solved the part of the problem that was on the XBMC side.

I'd be very grateful if Ned Scott could explain how to make XBMC enable this: "XBMC now shares playlists, tags, even files not scanned into the library, all via UPnP. " as he mentioned in his reply. Renaming 3+TB of media files is not happening anytime soon, if ever! Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sharing playlists with UPnP0