Apple TV 1 (no boardcom) vs Apple TV 2 ?
Star 
Hi Everyone, I have a few questions about the ATVs..

I have an Apple TV first gen that I used patchstick on and has xbmc running..i am not interested in using a crystal boardcom. I was wondering if I should get an Apple TV 2? What would be the pros/cons of them both? Should i run crystalBuntu on it through USB drive even though i dont have the boardcom on it? I have read mixed thoughts but i am not entirely clear on which is better?

Can you guys shed some light?

Thanks!
Without a BCHD, ATV2 will be better/ more powerful. Crystalbuntu can be used without the BCHD and will improve GUI responsiveness and give you 1080 output for pictures and GUI (no way it will do 1080 video).

ATV1 < ATV2 < ATV1 w/BCHD
Thanks for the info, ned scott. So the i should go for the atv2 then and get rid of my atv1?
Why the aversion to using a Broadcom CrystalHD? Your ATV1 would be better than an ATV2 if you just add in the BHCD.
Well mainly because I dont care for HD. Plus unlimited bandwith is lacking from my ISP if I were to stream HD, it would already waste away the bandwith like crazy.
Ok, i did a bit more research on the installation and looks fairly easy(no soldering?)...now im confused on which one i should go for.. The 12 mini or the 15 which costs 4x as much? What are the differences and would it be worth upgrading when i can come across atv2 for $60-$80 on craigslist? Thanks again

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1 (no boardcom) vs Apple TV 2 ?1