MythTV branches
Hi all,

I've become a little confused about all the PVR branches and was wondering if someone could confirm or deny what i think i've so far established.

dushmaniac's branch is the primary development for XBMC-PVR functionality, but lacks some specific polishing in relation to specific backends(TVHeadend/MythTV)
TSP has a branch with (additional?) MythTV/libcmyth stuff added.
dteirney also has a seperate MythTV branch?

Am i even close to being on the right track?

(For reference i have a MythTV 0.25 backend that i'd like to hook up to XBMC)

Cheers, Novae.
+1

I'm a little lost on this also. I recently just had to re-setup (changed providers) my MythTV and found my FIOS w/ HDHomeRun Prime would not grab the channel listings using MythTV 0.24 (might just be a schedulesdirect problem) and MythTV 0.25 fixed that but, now I cannot use the MythBox addon like I was previously.. I would appreciate an answer also. I'm running Windows as my platform for XBMC.

Thanks in advance!
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Me too. I just reloaded. As I understand there is no way to watch Myth recordings (with commercial skip anyway) without Mythbox. I would like native support without the UI completely changing. But even Mythbox doesn't work with Myth .25. Meanwhile the Mythbuntu repo's don't support .24 anymore so if I want to install .24 I need to compile manually.

It's kind of a mess & I'm wondering which way to go. Do I load Myth .24 & Mythbox & wait? Do I load .25 & try one of these branches? Which one? How stable are they? Is there native support then, or does it just allow Mythbox to work? Full functionality would be great but all I really NEED is to watch with commercial skip & be able to delete files. I can go into Myth frontend to schedule recordings, use the guide, etc., if I need to.
dushmaniac's branch: Two main branches: Master and Eden-pvr. Master is based on the current development version of xbmc so should support 0.25 (with the myth:// source) but can sometime be unstable. Does not contain any mythtv PVR addons. Eden-pvr is based on xbmc Eden and the PVR code is more stable/tested. Support for MythTV 0.25 didn't make it for Eden. Contains a MythTV pvr addon that is obsolete (and removed in the master branch).
Dteirney is responsible for updating the libcmyth code in xbmc (so it now support mythtv v0.25 in the nightly build). Did develop the old mythtv xbmc pvr addon.
tsp branchs: Again two branches master and eden-pvr. Both contains the new mythtv xbmc pvr addon and supports mythtv v0.25. The master branch is based on dushmaniacs master branch while Eden-PVR is based on his Eden-Pvr branch( but with v0.25 support). Commercial skipping is not included yet in the pvr addon but should work as usual with the myth:// source.
The latest version of mythbox should support v0.25 if used with a version of myth:// source that also supports 0.25.
Libcmyth MythTV addon for xbmc-pvr [source] [forum thread]
I am pretty sure MythBox supports .24 only right now, but I could be wrong.
1 Original XBOX XBMC with every game under the sun
3 Raspberry Pi's w/ Openelec Kodi shared MySQL db
1 Win7 Kodi hosting shared MySQL and media
1 Mythbuntu backend v.27 and HD Homerun Prime 3 tuners
I've done some searching... What my understanding is that if you use the latest nightlies, MythTV 0.25 protocol is supported. But in order to use this with MythBox, you must use the GIT Hub version of MythBox 1.1.1 which has the added support for MythTV 0.25. (I had already tried previously with version 1.1.0 and it did not work)

Reference to GIT for the newest Mythbox (it is however a fork): https://github.com/mitchcapper/mythbox
Reference to the information I found: http://code.google.com/p/mythbox/issues/detail?id=208

This is my understanding. I will test this out tonight and report back on my findings.

~Ninja
"Live to Win!"
I have just tested this and it does work if you use a nightly build and download the MythBox from GIT Hub!!!!

~Ninja
"Live to Win!"
(2012-07-10, 23:38)RandomNinjaAtk Wrote: I have just tested this and it does work if you use a nightly build and download the MythBox from GIT Hub!!!!

~Ninja
I suspect it would also work with a patched version of Eden (say my eden-pvr branch). 
Libcmyth MythTV addon for xbmc-pvr [source] [forum thread]
(2012-07-10, 23:38)RandomNinjaAtk Wrote: I have just tested this and it does work if you use a nightly build and download the MythBox from GIT Hub!!!!

~Ninja

Does this allow you to watch live tv as well as recordings? Also how stable is it, does it crash much?
I was able to watch Live TV. I haven't tested it any further, because I have to rebuild my server and I'm still in the midst of unpacking my hosuedue to moving recently.
"Live to Win!"
So to be on the bleeding edge with the best MythTV support i should be on tsp42 master branch? I still use MythTV as my main application but thinking of switching to XBMC, if there is good PVR support for MythTV. During that time i would be happy to test things and if necessary submit bug reports.
I installed tsp's build to work with Myth .25 on my Linux box. The files show in the pvr plugin but nothing happens when I try & play them. So I installed the Mythbox 1.1.1 plugin (fork) to work with myth .25. It works fine except for crashing if I FF too fast and/or too far.

I think I posted my errors with the pvr plugin but never heard back & I haven't tried any further. It's too bad because I was really looking forward to having access to my recorded shows in the native UI (the mythbox plugin is it's own UI that looks & works different than the regular XBMC UI), and the FF bug is kind of annoying sometimes.

Using the XBMC frontend is so much better than Myth though, it's worth it. I used Myth for a couple of years & was amazed at how much better XBMC was when I first started using it about a year ago.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MythTV branches0