SSD use in Server
Hi All,

I've got a server hosting approx 5 TB of video files to my 2 HTPCs. I'm using a mysql database for a central xbmc database, stored on the server.

I've already got SSDs in both my HTPCs, but I was wondering if I would see any discernible increase in performance by putting an SSD into my server?
Might be a good move to increase the reliability of the OS installation and performance of the apps the server is running (msql, etc..). But you would still use normal drives to host all the actual video/music/picture data.
"Live to Win!"
www.stevenohare.com - Personal Blog
www.oharesites.com - Domain Names, Web Hosting, Email Hosting and more
Yea, forgot to mention that I also run SAB, SB, CPv2 plus other various 'server' apps on the system.

I would put in a 120 gig SSD for the OS/Boot drive, and would continue to use my traditional hard drives for data drives.
What kind of server you got?

For unraid server, if you install a ssd as a cache drive, you can install mysql into the cache drive and have the library always available without having to spin up hdd's in the array.

This is what I did very recently (yesterday lol).

Other servers.. not sure if it will help too much.
i am using just an extra Windows 7 license I had to run the server, and using snapraid for parity.
At least with Windows Home Server 2011, I found the use of an SSD made remote desktop and dashboard much faster. Like anything, it depends on your usage. If you're just streaming data, then not so much. If you're doing a lot of things remotely, it might help.
thanks for your thoughts. i do a decent amount of remoting into the server to setup the metadata on my books and other items.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD use in Server 0