n00b question regarding networking for HTPC
Hi Guys,

Im new to the forum, been reading for a while but finally decided to join in on the fun.

I've been reading the guides for building my first HTPC.

Seem's like like i would be in group 2 but i prefer not to go with the apple tv 2 as prices are ridiculous and i would like to kind of be as future proof as possible.

Here's my issue, i have my modem/router upstairs and would like to have my HTPC downstairs, streaming of off a NAS that would also be upstairs, connected to my router. From what iive been reading, apparently wireless isn't such a good idea as it can impact performance and create lag. But how in the hell would i be able to have a wired connection without drilling holes all over my house?? I've found "powerline adapters" but not sure how they work...

can you anyone help a n00b brotha out?

I'm dying to get set up with XBMC and im smply a techie fanboy looking to finally get my hands dirty!

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Powerline adapters basically turn your power lines into high speed data cables. You can't use surge protectors with them. They may or may not work depending on your home's grid and interference.

They are an awesome option. But there really is only one way to know how its going to work. To try it out.
No problems here, wirelessly streaming 1080p to two fronteds with 300kbps cards simultaneously using a linksys e4200 dual band router. I have only xbmc clients on the 5ghz (n only) band while the rest of my users (b/g) are on 2.4 ghz.

using smb with uNraid.

I've never tried the poweline adapters but have seen good/bad reports.

good luck, buy the n cards or the powerline adapters from someone with a decent return policy and try them out. be sure to report back so others can learn what works/doesnt work for you.

be sure to get the 300 n adapters (for the 5ghz) and not the 150 which are 2. 4ghz.
Ideally run cable. You can run it wireless but it needs to be dual band. And set up properly. Example is on my network hard wired with a E4200 Cisco router I get 120 MB/s, Wireless on a g network I get about 3 MB/s On a dual band network 5 Ghz N and 2,4 Ghz wireless G I get 12Mb/s Which works for HD movies. To set up my wireless on my laptop I have 2 wireless nics. The one it came with is a G and I have a USB N 5.0 Ghz adapter. They both are connected

The trick to set it up properly was separating the 5 Ghz and the 2.4 in the router so I could connect to both at the same time. With just the 5,0 N network I get 8 MB/s

Ive never tried the power line adapters. They would probably be the best option but at a cost
(2012-07-11, 04:28)assassin Wrote: Powerline adapters basically turn your power lines into high speed data cables. You can't use surge protectors with them. They may or may not work depending on your home's grid and interference.

They are an awesome option. But there really is only one way to know how its going to work. To try it out.

Totally agree!
I was in the same boat,..I didn't want to run cable (personal reasons) and I figured for less than $70,..I'd give the Powerline Adapters a try,..and if they failed,..I'd return them. Amazon is awesome when it comes to returns, so I bought these: ZyXEL PLA401v3 HomePlug AV 200 Mbps Powerline Wall-plug Adapter (Starter Kit - 2 units).

They work perfectly for me! I get perfect streaming from my unRaid server and all other networking functions.
One of the best purchases I've made.

If you have digital cable, you should try MoCA networking. With MoCA, you can use the existing coaxial cable in your home as the medium for your wired network. Wireless and powerline can be hit or miss, wired is always the best option. Check the MoCA link in my sig for more details!
(2012-07-11, 05:49)Jetster Wrote: Ideally run cable.

+1. Networking is what puts food on my table. Avoid wireless as much as you can. Sometimes you'll have to drill holes in inconspicuous places, and fish the cable out of air vents, but in the end cables are the only 100% reliable media: no interference from microwave ovens, wireless phones, nor any kind of unexpected surprises...
Also, if you have a newer home, check to see if your phone jacks are wired with Cat5e. Mine were. It's cheaper for builders to buy one type of cable for phone/network so they often just use Cat5e. I replaced the phone wall jacks with RJ45 wall jacks and then in the basement rewired that end into a panel. It was very easy.
Thanks for the responses guys. I will go the powerline route and report back.

As for routers now, does it really matter??

I'm debating between the following two gigabit routers...

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=37929&...omoid=1360
or

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62864&...re=Linksys

As for powerline adapters, i was thinking about these:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53367&...e=TRENDnet

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks guys
(2012-07-11, 04:19)Zinger17 Wrote: But how in the hell would i be able to have a wired connection without drilling holes all over my house??
Something to keep in mind for your new house...prewired is always the best network. I prewired the entire house myself at my previouse home......

(2012-07-11, 04:19)Zinger17 Wrote: I've found "powerline adapters" but not sure how they work...
If you are planning to stream blu-ray files, you might have easier time with 500mbps powerline "TRENDnet TPL-401E2K". If you want to go with wireless route, this "Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM + Linksys Refurbished WET610N) might give you the best connection.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-11, 17:43)CpTHOOK Wrote: If you have digital cable, you should try MoCA networking. With MoCA, you can use the existing coaxial cable in your home as the medium for your wired network. Wireless and powerline can be hit or miss, wired is always the best option. Check the MoCA link in my sig for more details!
It's interesting.....how much do they charge to connect "Main PC in master bedroom to HTPC in media room"? Can it do 1080P video/bistreaming HD audio fluently? Just curious....

(2012-07-12, 04:31)bluray Wrote: It's interesting.....how much do they charge to connect "Main PC in master bedroom to HTPC in media room"? Can it do 1080P video/bistreaming HD audio fluently? Just curious....

What up Blu...

Actually it works like this.... I have verizon fios as my cable subscriber. Verizon as with any modern digital cable company uses a LAN to interconnect the cable boxes in your home. This explains such features as " you can pause Live TV in one room, and rusume it in the next" or " Record on one DVR and watch those recorded shows using any box in your home"... The technology they use for this is MoCA! The cable company will gladly wire your home with Coaxial cable in order for you to recieve service if your home is not already pre-wired with it. Most modern homes already have coaxial cable installed as opposed to CAT5e. Once the cable man leaves all that is required is a MoCA ethernet to coaxial bridge

Using coaxial as your medium, it will be just as fluent as CAT5e provided the cable company provides you with at least a 1000Base-T router!

(2012-07-12, 05:29)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-07-12, 04:31)bluray Wrote: It's interesting.....how much do they charge to connect "Main PC in master bedroom to HTPC in media room"? Can it do 1080P video/bistreaming HD audio fluently? Just curious....

What up Blu...

Actually it works like this.... I have verizon fios as my cable subscriber. Verizon as with any modern digital cable company uses a LAN to interconnect the cable boxes in your home. This explains such features as " you can pause Live TV in one room, and rusume it in the next" or " Record on one DVR and watch those recorded shows using any box in your home"... The technology they use for this is MoCA! The cable company will gladly wire your home with Coaxial cable in order for you to recieve service if your home is not already pre-wired with it. Most modern homes already have coaxial cable installed as opposed to CAT5e. Once the cable man leaves all that is required is a MoCA ethernet to coaxial bridge

Using coaxial as your medium, it will be just as fluent as CAT5e provided the cable company provides you with at least a 1000Base-T router!

this is exactly what i was asking about the other day!
so let me get this straight hook, i have verizon also... if i built another htpc and put it in the opposite side of my house, how exactly would i wire this? im very confused about the wiring layout
(2012-07-12, 05:29)CpTHOOK Wrote: Using coaxial as your medium, it will be just as fluent as CAT5e provided the cable company provides you with at least a 1000Base-T router!
I see.....and thank you Hook. Let say......

1. My router and main PC is in master bedroom
2. HTPC is in media room
3. Cable junction box is in the laundry
4. To connect it, I have to do this- router>Moca transmitter>coaxial splitter>master bedroom+media room connect+splitters in junction box>Moca receiver>HTPC.....it seems that I need 4 splitters....is this seem right?

ConfusedHuh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
n00b question regarding networking for HTPC1