n00b question regarding networking for HTPC
(2012-07-13, 03:05)CpTHOOK Wrote: Image
Now that I verified your diagram again.....isn't there suppose to be another Moca adapter by the router/modem at unRaid room to sent signal to Moca in room1&2 through coax?

(2012-07-13, 17:35)DavidT99 Wrote: Do the MoCA devices in media rooms 1 and 2 have built in firewalls? If not then surely all the LAN devices are open to the internet.

David
MoCa adapter included encryption with password protection and all his HTPC's should included firewall......the only way somebody can break into his HTPC's is by manually connected their PC to his junction box or hack into his wireless router......

After I read the description, it have identical encryption and connect/work the same way as powerline.....the only different is Moca adapter use coaxial cable and powerfline adapter use electrical wire......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-13, 19:04)bluray Wrote: Now that I verified your diagram again.....isn't there suppose to be another Moca adapter by the router/modem at unRaid room to sent signal to Moca in room1&2 through coax?

I think his Verizon modem/router is already MoCA capable and can communicate with the other MoCA gateways directly.

Well, here's my diagram from 1993:

AT&T Junction Box >>> Phone Jack >>> US Robotics 14,400 Fax Modem >>> Pentium 66Mhz (Top of the line)

I used to direct connect to my buddy over the phone line and play Duke Nukem 1-on-1. Those were the days Rofl
Thanks Blu, for clarifying the firewall question!!Wink As far as speed... the Adapters ethernet ports are only 10/100 which makes it still inferior to a full Ethernet network with regards to speed. BUT....i have had no issues streaming 1080p files under about 30GB.... anything below that works grand!! Since unRAID server is in my office.. rooms 1 and 2 are not receiving gigabit speeds! The main feature of MoCA is a reliable WIRED network using the existing data TX medium already in your house/condo/apt. If you want a true Gigabit wired network, then you will have to drill holes!
(2012-07-13, 19:04)bluray Wrote: Now that I verified your diagram again.....isn't there suppose to be another Moca adapter by the router/modem at unRaid room to sent signal to Moca in room1&2 through coax?

I believe i was trying to explain this very question to you here.. after you posted your diagram!! You would only need a MoCA bridge next to your router if it is not MoCA capable. Mine is!! and I believe other U.S.A. digital cable companies such as Comcast, Time-Warner and others use MoCA enabled cable routers! Check out the MoCA article in my sig for more on that!!
(2012-07-13, 15:47)mikev927 Wrote: i use the verizon one too but yours doesnt look like mine.

and also, is there any set up needed to this?

What's up Mike...

NO....no configuration is needed! Just connect the MoCA bridges, plug in your Ethernet cable to the RJ45 port and your golden! Let me ask you... since your modem doesn't look like mine, do you have Verizon High-Speed or Verizon FIOS(Fiber Optic)? I have Verizon Fios!
(2012-07-13, 17:23)bluray Wrote: Let me ask you this- can Moca network do 1080P video/bitstreaming HD audio over the network fluently.....because my 200Mbps Linksys/Cisco powerline adapter cannot do it fluently......

Have you verified the speed of your powerline adapter? Powerline can be very good, but it can also do poorly depending on your power conditions, EMI, etc.

MoCA 1.1 can do 175mbps and most people actually see these speeds. MoCA 2.0 can do 400-800mpbs depending on performance mode and devices used.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
I have 200Mbs powerline adapters for the guest room htpc). They work well for 720p and 1080p scene releases. But in 1:1 bluray rips, I get buffering whenever the variable bitrate goes above 35Mbps. I only have a handful of 1:1 rips so it's not a big deal for me.
(2012-07-14, 00:33)CpTHOOK Wrote:
(2012-07-13, 15:47)mikev927 Wrote: i use the verizon one too but yours doesnt look like mine.

and also, is there any set up needed to this?

What's up Mike...

NO....no configuration is needed! Just connect the MoCA bridges, plug in your Ethernet cable to the RJ45 port and your golden! Let me ask you... since your modem doesn't look like mine, do you have Verizon High-Speed or Verizon FIOS(Fiber Optic)? I have Verizon Fios!

yea i have fios also. im located in new jersey, i dont know where your at.
There are various Actiontech Verizon Fios router revisions floating around. The ones with the red stripe are the new rev I (i) models. They are being rolled out heavily for the new 'quantum' Fios 150/65mbps speed plan because they have N standard wireless and gigabit ethernet connections. Most of the older revisions only had 10/100mbps ports.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
(2012-07-14, 05:10)aptalca Wrote: But in 1:1 bluray rips, I get buffering whenever the variable bitrate goes above 35Mbps. I only have a handful of 1:1 rips so it's not a big deal for me.
95% of my blu-ray's are 1:1 ripped to ISO.......the very highly rated Cisco/Linksys 200Mbps powerline cannot do it fluently.....I have been using it in two different single family homes....and it cannot do it in both both homes.....and I connects it directly to the walls....
(2012-07-14, 00:14)CpTHOOK Wrote: As far as speed... the Adapters ethernet ports are only 10/100 which makes it still inferior to a full Ethernet network with regards to speed. BUT....i have had no issues streaming 1080p files under about 30GB.... anything below that works grand!! Since unRAID server is in my office.. rooms 1 and 2 are not receiving gigabit speeds! The main feature of MoCA is a reliable WIRED network using the existing data TX medium already in your house/condo/apt. If you want a true Gigabit wired network, then you will have to drill holes!
[quote='bluray' pid='1146743' dateline='1342199083']Now that I verified your diagram again.....isn't there suppose to be another Moca adapter by the router/modem at unRaid room to sent signal to Moca in room1&2 through coax?
From what you described, it might have the exact same result as my 200Mbps Cisco/Linksys powerline. It cannot playback blu-ray 1:1 ISO fluently.....I'll have to pre-wire every room at my next home then.....it's always the best for streaming 1080P vidoe/Streaming HD audio......

(2012-07-14, 00:14)CpTHOOK Wrote: I believe i was trying to explain this very question to you here.. after you posted your diagram!! You would only need a MoCA bridge next to your router if it is not MoCA capable. Mine is!! and I believe other U.S.A. digital cable companies such as Comcast, Time-Warner and others use MoCA enabled cable routers! Check out the MoCA article in my sig for more on that!!
I think that my drawing in post #24 is very accurate for COX high speed modem/HD receivers and Cisco router for two rooms......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
n00b question regarding networking for HTPC1