Fix Xbox 360 controller support

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4.75 Average
Japaja Offline
Fan
Just got a wired xbox 360 controller for games and wondered why it didn't work with xmbc. Thanks a lot shiretoko212, I owe you a beer. Smile
find quote
shiretoko212 Offline
Team-Kodi Member
binBD, if you use the dpad in combination with the left and right triggers to navigate, it's as good as or better than having it on the left thumbstick. The left thumbstick works very well for time seeking (and time seeking this way works in any menu of xbmc while any media is playing). Try the latest keymap version.

Japaja, just what I like to hear. Donate that beer to the project: http://xbmc.org/contribute/donate/

da-anda, looks perfect. Glad to hear that it may make it into the next beta. I hope it's noted on the release changelog, so more people break out their controllers.
(This post was last modified: 2012-11-30 08:59 by shiretoko212.)
find quote
shiretoko212 Offline
Team-Kodi Member
On page 2 of this thread, someone mentioned that "I'm using this with PS3 controller with motioninjoy." So I reviewed the other keymaps in github and came upon this: https://github.com/da-anda/xbmc/blob/f53...roller.xml It could use the same treatment the 360 keymap received, as it has nearly the same layout and capabilities. I don't own a PS3 controller, so I can't do it myself.

Anyone who owns a PS3 controller, please, take that github ps3 controller xml file as a base and migrate the ideas of the 1.95 keymap. http://pastebin.com/gyBGgPJM I think PS3 controllers require a 3rd party driver, so mention how it works with motioninjoy or other PS3 driver solutions on whichever OS you use, just in case the button number mappings vary by driver. The device names seem fine as well, but I don't know for sure.
(This post was last modified: 2012-11-30 10:17 by shiretoko212.)
find quote
Japaja Offline
Fan
(2012-11-30 07:35)shiretoko212 Wrote:  Japaja, just what I like to hear. Donate that beer to the project: http://xbmc.org/contribute/donate/

Done. Blush
find quote
Rafa_m Offline
(2012-11-27 04:55)shiretoko212 Wrote:  Rafa_m: Which operating system are you using? Rerun xbmc, and then what device name shows up in the xbmc.log when you search for "Enabled Joystick:" without quotes? Search for multiple instances, just in case there's more than one device. Share each whole line here, and I'll update the keymap with it for you to use. The pastebin you linked to shows no change in the altnames from the supplied keymap. As you have likely discovered another device name, you'd be helping this project by sharing it here and getting it to work.

i am using windows 7

here is the line on the log for the joystick:

Enabled Joystick: Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)
find quote
natethomas Offline
Team Kodi Community Manager
(2012-12-02 19:28)Rafa_m Wrote:  i am using windows 7

here is the line on the log for the joystick:

Enabled Joystick: Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)

That controller is already in the list so you should theoretically not be having a recognition error. Maybe you could explain what exactly is going wrong with your setup?

Edit: I should mention that some controllers have needed a slightly alternate system to get the D-pad to work, and the pastebin link you submitted doesn't include those changes. They will be available when Beta2 is released.

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

[Image: badge.gif]
(This post was last modified: 2012-12-02 19:47 by natethomas.)
find quote
Rafa_m Offline
ok, i got the controller working, but the buttons are kinda weird, idk if this is for everybody or just 4 me

A, B and Y work fine, the d pad is not working, the left analog just works up and down and it is with super high sensitivity and the right analog is changing the volume
find quote
natethomas Offline
Here are some images that show you how the controller should work!

[Image: d5kZa.jpg]

[Image: lDqMz.jpg]

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(This post was last modified: 2012-12-03 01:55 by natethomas.)
find quote
Rafa_m Offline
It is working perfectly now, thank you so much for the help!
find quote
Japaja Offline
Fan
(2012-12-02 20:23)natethomas Wrote:  Also, here are some images that show you how the controller should work!

Those are great for reference, thanks. I think I'm gonna print them too. Smile
Tried all the controls from image/s and the only ones not working are: left stick-fast scroll and home, codec info which are both on the middle xbox guide button. For me that button just brings up the xbox 360 accessories software.
find quote
shiretoko212 Offline
Team-Kodi Member
natethomas: Those images look excellent. One question though about the media playback one. On v1.95, back is SmallStepBack, and start is CodecInfo. Yours moves it to the special 360 middle button. How did you get the 360 middle button to work? If so, where can I get that? I'm using Frodo beta 1 and 1.95, and the 360 middle button does nothing.
(This post was last modified: 2012-12-02 23:20 by shiretoko212.)
find quote
natethomas Offline
Hm. Possibly I missread the button numbers, Shiretoko. Let me double check that.

find quote
natethomas Offline
Alright, I think there's something slightly wrong with the button mapping notes in the keymap. There button 8 is listed as "Guide" and button 7 is "Start." When Button 8 appears to actually be Start and Guide doesn't exist at all. Am I missing something?

Code:
<!-- Button Mappings:                    -->
<!--                                     -->
<!-- ID              Button              -->
<!--                                     -->
<!-- 1               A                   -->
<!-- 2               B                   -->
<!-- 3               X                   -->
<!-- 4               Y                   -->
<!-- 5               LB                  -->
<!-- 6               RB                  -->
<!-- 7               Start               -->
<!-- 8               Guide               -->
<!-- 9               Left Stick Button   -->
<!-- 10              Right Stick Button  -->
<!-- 11              D-Pad Up            -->
<!-- 12              D-Pad Down          -->
<!-- 13              D-Pad Left          -->
<!-- 14              D-Pad Right         -->
<!-- 15              Back                -->

(This post was last modified: 2012-12-02 23:40 by natethomas.)
find quote
shiretoko212 Offline
Team-Kodi Member
AFAIK, it isn't possible to bind anything to the middle lit up button (I'd love to be proven wrong. launching xbmc with that would be awesome). According to my v1.95, 7 is back, and 8 is start.

Edit: in the Game Controllers control panel item, in the Properties of my 360 controller, in the Test tab, no hardware to software mapped item lights up when the Guide button is pressed. Additionally on that screen, 7 lights up with back, and 8 lights up with start. This is with the drivers built into Windows 7, though. I don't know if unofficial drivers or other operating systems offer different capabilities.
(This post was last modified: 2012-12-02 23:53 by shiretoko212.)
find quote
Japaja Offline
Fan
(2012-12-02 23:40)shiretoko212 Wrote:  AFAIK, it isn't possible to bind anything to the middle lit up button.

OK, that answers part of my question and what about "left stick-fast scroll"? Smile

Edit: Never mind I just saw it's not in the keymap so that should be removed from the image too.
There appears to be custom drivers which when installed enable mapping/using the xbox guide button. If anyone is interested I can test them and let you know if it works out.
(This post was last modified: 2012-12-03 00:01 by Japaja.)
find quote