Launching many NetCams requiring login with your remote control.
This is for those netcams that require a username/ password before you can login, but you of course can't do it with your remote control. Loftek is the one I have. If you look closely, the netcams will probably be using a Javascript server push.

The following will enable you to open up that netcam with a click of a remote button, so you can see if you want to get up to greet the door (assuming the front door has a netcam on it).

The basic idea is to set each network camera up with its own remote control key - corresponding to a separate profile in firefox. Each profile in firefox has its own home page, so by setting that home page to the network camera's page, we then get immediate access to each network camera via your remote control.

Why firefox? Because it was the first browser to give me the tools to figure this out quickly and painlessly. And it has a very nice network pass manager.

If you're interested in the above - a couple of quick tips - download Lammer's context menu - this will let you copy paths with a simple right-click, and avoid frustration. When testing batch files, make sure to go into DOS via the cmd.exe window.

Ok, enough of the beauty tips - how to get this?

1. Download firefox, and open up the IP of your network camera. Choose Mode 2 to view (For FireFox, Safari Browser etc.) . When prompted, click yes to have firefox remember your password.

2. With the picture up of the network camera, right-click on it picture, and select "This Frame - > Bookmark this frame"

It will probably be a URL like this: http://192.168.0.2:25678/live.htm

3. Click on the bookmarks tool bar, and go to that page - and set it to be the home page of that profile (In Firefox, Tools/ Options/ General tab - set home page).

4. In Firefox, change the color of the background to black, and text to white.: Tools/ Options/ Content tab. Colors. This is so as to not leave you lots of blank white space on your HDTV.

5. Make a batch file with these contents.

Code:
    echo off

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"  -profile "C:\Users\buddy\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xtdf9rns.backPatio"

exit

Note: The middle line should be all one line, with the locations changed depending on where firefox installed itself, and where your firefox profiles are located.

Make sure you test this in DOS before moving on. You should be seeing that particular profile open up.

6. Make a shortcut to that batch file, and right-click on that batch file shortcut. Select properties - then have it run "Minimized"

7. Get your remote control, and choose what button you want to use to launch each cam. With a Harmony One, you can do this via the Logitech Harmony One Software, by adding an "Additional Button". Call it "FrontDoor".

8. Download Intelliremote for worry-free/ glitch-free performance for only $25. Not affiliated with them, just really frustrated with Eventghost and how it handle MCE remote control keypresses.

9. After installing Intelliremote, open it up like the red arrow below - right-click on the red icon on the taskbar on the bottom. Left-click on Customize. Where the pink arrow is, rightclick and select Add Button. Where the blue arrow is type "FrontDoor". Where the brown arrow is, click Learn code, and point your remote control and press your Harmony One button. It will flash red "Learned!". Then, in the Activity Event (yellow arrow), browse to your shortcut. Click apply where the green arrow is. Don't forget to do a final config change - see below the picture.

Have Intelliremote "Learn" the remote control's button keypress for the FrontDoor remote control keypress. After clicking apply, select Activity Event, and browse to the shortcut of the batch file you made above. Make sure you right-click on the Intelliremote Icon on your taskbar and select "Exit" - that's the only way that it will save your configuration changes.

10. Test it out....XBMC should be minimizing, with Firefox loading, and presenting your network camera's home page, and a username and password that you can simply select "Ok" on your remote control to sign in.

But now what - how to close that webpage and get back to XBMC?

Download and install NIRCMD. 32 bit and 64 bit here, with help file here. We'll be using it to accomplice the immediate above.

Make a batch file with the below code, with a corresponding shortcut set to run as minimized. With a corresponding button in your Harmony One called "Close netcam", and a corresponding button in Intelliremote.

Code:
    "C:\Users\buddy\Desktop\Harmony One buttons Bat file for RecentAdded and Playlists\nircmd\nircmd.exe" closeprocess "firefox.exe"

"C:\Users\buddy\Desktop\Harmony One buttons Bat file for RecentAdded and Playlists\nircmd\nircmd.exe" win max title "XBMC"

The quotes are essential to avoid space issues. Make sure to adjust the above locations, and again test first in DOS.

11. Test out your system - you should now be able to open and close multiple cams with a regular remote control, all while coming back to XBMC.

Other network camera solutions - on the PC - iSpy's open source and free software is awesome. Android - Tiny Cam Monitor Pro - amazing.

My overall usage - I use my android phone or PC depending to see all of my network cameras. If I'm on the HTPC, watching TV, then I use the above solution.

You might ask - why didn't I enable popups for people walking to the front door? I did, but then quickly realized that those popups happen even if I know my girlfriend is coming home. So, for me, it's more intuitive to set up the remote control so I can selectively see who's at the front door, as opposed to have my HTPC automatically show me who's at the front door.

Cheers!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Launching many NetCams requiring login with your remote control.0