NFC Autosetup XBMC Remote
I've searched google and these forums about a specific use of NFC that new phones are supporting and have not had any success.

I'm setting up a house with xbmc and several rooms, 2 with tvs, two music only. What I'd like to do is install a nfc like this one:
http://www.scbsolutions.com/express/prod...cts_id=131

I would place the nfc reader behind a blank wall plate and as a person enters the room they can *tap* their phone to the plate and the phone would open directly to the XBMC movies selection or remote when you walk into a room with a television or the phone would open up the music portion of the app for the rooms that will only have music.

I am thinking I may need a few XBMC's so NFC capability would greatly simplify the "accessing the correct remote" portion of XBMC from an android phone.

Why do I ask this kind of question when it may seem just easier just to tap a few times to get to the right server or to open up the remote for the television.... Because the people that I am setting this up for need simplicity, either I cannot explain how to use technology correctly or they are adverse to spending their brainpower to learn something as simple as the XBMC remote. That is why I ask.

Thank you in advance for any guidance/tips/suggestions/help.
i'm interested in something like this as-well, but as i see it you only need nfc stickers for this and not the nfc reader/writer. you buy some nfc stickers or tags which are at about 1& a piece (for stickers), then write them (set their explicit functionality) with an android app (there are several available in the play store) and that is it.

the problem is that i don't know how complex the android apps are (if they let you only start an app or go to a specific part in that app - like in your example).

the usb nfc readers must be plugged in the computer and using its software you can read and write the functionality of other tags and stickers, just like a nfc enabled smartphone would do. you could do what you want using these but it's more expensive and i'm still not sure you can force xbmc to start in a specific place.

i have not tried this yet but i'm interested in the idea for a future project using the raspberry pi and as i understand the way nfc works for this case is as stated above.
Update. I started this thread thinking not understanding how simple it would be get NFC up and running in and out of the house. Currently I have NFC Task Launcher automating a few tasks, e.g. turn on bluetooth, turn on car mode when I tap an NFC tab in my car. Tapping the same tab turns off car mode/exits bluetooth.

So now to XBMC Remote. I have several XBMC's running in the house. I don't currently see a way have xbmc remote connect to a specific XBMC server. Once I figure this out I'll post back.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NFC Autosetup XBMC Remote0