AMD A6/A8 undervaulting
Ok its Friday morning here in the UK and it’s really quiet in the office, no issues at all (so far)!! The sun looks like it might come out but who knows.. I reckon more rain is on the way… oh the British Summer Smile

As you can tell I’m bored Smile so I thought I would finally get round to posting my undervaulting experience on my AMD A6 APU. So what is undervaulting:- Chips come out of the factory setup to use much higher voltage then is required – there are lots of reasons for this but all you need to know is each chip is different and hence AMD wouldn’t be able to setup the voltage correctly for each one so they go for a much higher default setting than is required.

Undervaulting will allow you to reduce the level of voltage to your chipset which in turn will reduce power consumption and core temperature without any performance losses at all!!!

This website shows a reduction in power by as much as 32%.. big saving on the electric bill right?

this one show 25%

So how does it work I hear you ask?

CPU’s have different Performance States, AMD calls this Cool’n’Quiet and Intel calls this SpeedStep. Using the below software the voltage to each state can be configured.

Use the FusionTweaker software from this page, this page gives a good overview of the chipset and setting etc.

You basically use the app to lower the voltage on each of the states to you find a level that doesn’t cause a blue screen, the below is pulled from the FusionTweaker website.

P0 - 2.3GHz - 1.15V
P1 - 1.6GHz - 0.95V
P2 - 1.5GHz - 0.925V
P3 - 1.4GHz - 0.9V
P4 - 1.3GHz - 0.875V
P5 - 1.2GHz - 0.8375V
P6 - 1.0GHz - 0.8V
P7 - 0.8GHz - 0.75V

I found the states a little low and increased each state a little on my cpu, the settings will depend on your setup so you will need to test these and find one that works for you, I started off at 1.2v for P0 and just increased each state a little from the above.

When you adjust your settings trying running video, cpu intensive stuff, ide time etc to get the cpu into different states to make sure you are happy with the settings. Once you have found a setup you are happy with commit the changes – this creates a service that will apply the power states upon logon. You will need to disbale Cool’n’Quiet in the BIOS once you have applied the settings!!

This doenst cause any long term issue to the APU at all – but please understand if you choose to do this I am not responsible!! All I can say is that I have been running this setup with no issues and am very happy with the result as I run my A6 in a passive cooled system… hope this all makes sense and enjoy Smile
I heard rumor there was a bit of blue sky last week. A friend in Belfast, NI posted it on Facebook. I think they Photoshopped it though. I don't think they Photoshopped the river running down their street though. Crazy rain in the UK!
(2012-07-13, 16:03)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I heard rumor there was a bit of blue sky last week. A friend in Belfast, NI posted it on Facebook. I think they Photoshopped it though. I don't think they Photoshopped the river running down their street though. Crazy rain in the UK!

Big Grin the weather has been unreal even by our standards, it has rained so much.. the Olympics should be fun as they are forecasting more rain!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD A6/A8 undervaulting0