Weird Question about Hard drives and XBMC
So I have a media box with XBMCbuntu and a 500 GB hdd that's pretty much full. I just got a new 3 TB hdd, so I switched the two and installed XBMCbuntu on the new one.

Now, I need to know how to easily move the media from the 500GB drive to the 3TB. I have a 3.5" hard drive enclosure, so I thought I could plug the first hdd into the media box and transfer, but it's not showing up. Does this have something to do with the file formate? I also have a 1TB windows computer that I can use as an intermediary if needed.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
You already installed XBMCbuntu on the 3TB drive, right? Because if it was just a "virgin" drive, then I was thinking it may be due to this limitation on the pre-existing partition.

When you installed XBMCbuntu on the 3TB, did you tell the installation "wizard" to use the entire drive or did you tell it to use a particular partition or partition size?

Also, were you using XBMC's built-in file manager or the XBMCbuntu (operating system) file manager when you were trying to copy the files from the 500GB to the 3TB?

Finally, try plugging the 500GB drive (in its enclosure) to another PC to see if it is recognized. Just trying to eliminate the possibility that the enclosure might be defective. Be aware that if you use a Windows PC, it will probably show that drive as unformatted since it doesn't understand the ext4 format; however, it should still recognize the existence of that drive (and for heaven's sake, if Windows asks if you want it to format the drive for you, tell it NO!).
Yes, I installed XBMCbuntun on the 3TB, and I used the entirety of the disk.I was also using XBMC's built in file manager, I didn't think about using the operating system's file manager. I'll try plugging it into another PC and report back.

Thanks a lot!
So this is odd. I plugged in the 500 GB with the enclosure and it isn't recognized in Windows. The 3 TB however, pops right up. So the enclosure is fine. I'll have to check to see if the original 500 died or something.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird Question about Hard drives and XBMC0