Setting up movie distribution to several TVs
I'm fairly new to the subject of media centers and have a few questions regarding what I can or cannot do. What I would like to do is to store my collection of Blu ray discs and DVDs on a server and then be able to watch these videos from a couple of TVs.

So my first question is this possible or better yet feasible/reasonable? I'm pretty sure it can be done but wondering if it's reasonable to do.

The bigger question is what hardware should I get or do I need, especially at the displays. I want to base the system on Macs. Can I just place a Mac at each display and pull from a Time Capsule or other hard drive storage. Then use a Mac mini at the displays using xbmc? Or better yet can I just have one computer as a server and client that distributes the video via the network to the different displays?

Thanks,
Jeff
Welcome to the forums.

With xbmc, you're gonna need a box hooked up to each display. It can be a mac mini, pc or even an apple tv. Xbmc works on many platforms and operating systems.

Your movie library can reside on a server, network attached storage, Time Capsule or a bunch of external hard drives. As long as the computers can access the media through the network or directly, it will work.

I suggest you start reading the xbmc wiki. There is a lot that you can do.

What many people (including me) are doing is building a media server (I built an "unraid" server). All the media (movies, tv shows, music, photos. . .) resides on this computer. Each xbmc computer is hooked up to a tv and accesses the content on the server through the network. Xbmc boxes also use a mysql library that is hosted on the server as well. And since it is a centralized library, you can update the library on one box and all the other ones will automatically be in sync. You can stop a movie on one box, then resume on another, etc.
Thanks, aptalca. I'll check out the wiki.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up movie distribution to several TVs0