• 2(current)
Solved 64bit XBMC
(2012-11-19, 09:36)Xeno43 Wrote: People probably just want to feel better than the 16GB of RAM they put in their HTPC could actually be used...
Oh the things I see in XBMC Hardware...
Never understood that...
Okay - I got 16GB as well, but my PC isn't only used for XBMC.
But if they are using the system purely for a HTPC - then why pack it with riddicoulus amounts of RAM? Ah... well... What do I care Big Grin

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Well nowadays if you don't care about the difference between $45 and $65, why not get 16Gb instead of 8Gb?
(2012-11-20, 22:24)Malosar Wrote: Well nowadays if you don't care about the difference between $45 and $65, why not get 16Gb instead of 8Gb?
Because it's unecessary. Why not save that 20$, when you're not going to use the RAM anyhow?

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Sometimes when I see people with 8GB RAM in their HTPC I wonder if I should do the same. Then I use my i3 with 4GB and it's so bloody fast and does everything I want without missing a beat.
I just break the larger ram sticks in half so I can use part of it in another computer.
The only reason for 16 GB RAM for me would be a 12 GB ram drive for the timeshift buffer - but for this even 8GB would suffice.
(2012-11-21, 20:03)Ned Scott Wrote: I just break the larger ram sticks in half so I can use part of it in another computer.

You can't do that! They get lonely when you separate them.
Guys this is a development thread about getting x64 support on windows and not a "how much RAM makes sense in a HTPC" discussion so if that's all you have to post please do it somewhere else as it's only very very remotely on topic.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
A good reason to move to 64 bit on Windows is... eventually Win32 *will* stop being well supported on the windows platform, possibly even going the way of Win16. While Win64 allows 32bit execution product, compiling against it needs 64 bit pointer support.
Not too old a thread to respond to, so let me just add that given that the direction appears to be towards UPnP with on-the-fly transcoding, I think that's where a 64 bit version will most be beneficial in the shorter term....
I would also like to see a 64bit version for a very simple reason - I run Server 2008 R2 and the downloaded 32bit version which will not install. And no I can not replace the OS!!
There is some other problem if you cannot install it. I just tried on Windows Server 2008 R2 and the installer went through fine. I can also start XBMC (although it errors out because the server is headless and XBMC won't run in an RDP session).
Actually you can run XBMC in a RDP session. First it must be installed directly with a attached monitor/keyboard/mouse. Once installed you can run it from a RDP session, at least you can do the menus/setup/scans. I haven't tried to actually play content. I do this as a XBMC server. I set it up to auto logon, automatically start XBMC, and automatically scan. This is a Win 7 Pro x64 OS under a ESXi host.
For those that are not aware of the work being done on this: Win32 x64 XBMC x64 port - work in progress
DEFINITLY NEED A 64 BIT VERSION FOR WINDOWS. IF YOU NEED A REASON ITS BECOUSE IT WILL WORK BETTER. FOR EXAMPLE WHEN I WAS USING 32 XBMC WAS WORKING BEAUTIFULY BUT WHEN I SWITCHED TO 64 IT DOESNT EVEN WANT TO DOWNLOAD FROM YOUR WEB PAGE.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
64bit XBMC0