• 4(current)
Solved 64bit XBMC
So, when they send patches to the list with "x86" they actually mean Intel architecture?
I guess so
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
All arguments aside, 64bit has more headroom, simple!
Whether it's necessary or not I don't know, I'm no programer.
If you want 64 bit xbmc why not move to an OS on which 64 bit support is available?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Actually i did some test with ffmpeg h265 software decoding and is A LOT FASTER in x64 than x86. I tried it with lav filters and i'm talking about 2 to 3 times of magnitude faster..
Of course it's not only because of x64 instructions itself but because x64 version is getting a lot more attention and optimizations..
For example:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=...ost1689312
and with openhevc optimization in .14 release it increase...
Its sad that x64 is reduced to "more ram". x64 brings some more benefits. Faster Software decoding, faster encoding (in kodi are plugins for encoding i guess they are for upnp). The possibility of ASLR, which is on 32bit a joke. And it can save some space of memory, because the 32bit Librarys don't have to be loaded.

For me only one question. If someone change the build scripts for 64bit builds, if this work gets accepted and we will see a official 64bit Build or if its rejected from the start.
(2014-11-06, 12:27)nille02 Wrote: Its sad that x64 is reduced to "more ram". x64 brings some more benefits. Faster Software decoding, faster encoding (in kodi are plugins for encoding i guess they are for upnp). The possibility of ASLR, which is on 32bit a joke. And it can save some space of memory, because the 32bit Librarys don't have to be loaded.

For me only one question. If someone change the build scripts for 64bit builds, if this work gets accepted and we will see a official 64bit Build or if its rejected from the start.

it's certainly not as simple as "just change build scripts". It's way way more.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-11-06, 12:31)Martijn Wrote: it's certainly not as simple as "just change build scripts". It's way way more.

Of course its not so simple but the question is, does this work reach fruitful ground or its not wanted from the start. its useless to work or take a look on something that not wanted from the project.
(2014-11-06, 12:37)nille02 Wrote:
(2014-11-06, 12:31)Martijn Wrote: it's certainly not as simple as "just change build scripts". It's way way more.

Of course but the question is, does this work reach fruitful ground or its not wanted from the start. its useless to work or take a look on something that not wanted from the project.
it's wanted but not as a simple change because that wouldn't benefit us at all and only increase support burden
the change must be that third-party libs will be compiled from scratch instead of simply adding it as pre-compiled. karlson2k and some other did already start to some point but there are way bigger changes needed. So simply adding 64bit pre-compiled libs will not be accepted.

So in short. the buildsystem needs to be change (perhaps from the ground up) for it to be accepted into main line.
It's time for Kodi running as a native 64-bit application!

Obviously Kodi doesn't require more than 4 GB of RAM. However, considering the rise of HEVC (Blu-ray 4K, Netflix, etc.) and VP9 (YouTube), one should reconsider the aforementioned arguments that 64-bit will bring faster video decoding because of an improved instruction set and more processor registers.

While one could argue that processors with native HEVC support are coming, there are still many older devices around without such support. Google also announced that after releasing VP10, they plan to have an 18-month gap between releases of video formats. Therefore, it seems unrealistic to assume that processor manufacturers will be fast enough to support new video formats in a timely manner. It is necessary to fully utilise the available processor architecture.

What are your thoughts on that? How far are we from having all libraries ready to work on x86-64?
you gonna do the work for it?
its time for people shutting up on this topic really...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Lock thread?
Media_Center_Master (wiki) || First_time_user (wiki) || Kodi Store || T-shirts: Villian, Protest, Graffiti, Emoji, Black on Black, K-18L
Someone will just open another, and also accuse the mods of stifling debate.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Hello,

Despite I understood from above that migrating Kodi to a native 64bit program is not so easy, I would strongly advocate for 64bit builds.

At this point in time a very large part of the computers used for Kodi based media players is natively 64 bit ...... and
low end, low power systems as well.

Given those hardware platforms, squeezing out as much performance as possible is really important. And 64bit build will surely help significantly with that!!

My own home build media player is based on a (hidden) windows10 64bit system running on an AMD A4-5000 mini ATX mainboard 8GB ram and an SSD. So absolutely not bad for a media player, I would say. But it is not fast and it would surely profit from a 64bit build

So let me advocate for a native 64 bit build again!

Sincerely,

Louis
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
64bit XBMC0