• 1(current)
Solved 64bit XBMC
Do you plan to develop 64bit XBMC for windows?
You probably should provide some reasons as to why...
One could think about using >2GB RAM, but well - is that necessary for XBMC? Never had it hit around 1GB while running, so... what is your reason for wanting a x64 version?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

And don't bring the "speedup" reason. There is no speedup (tested on OSX where we have 64bit builds).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
64 is a higher number than 32, so therefore it must be better.

Big Grin
Bigger is always better, at least until it is too big. Nerd
You have speedup only if you optimize your code to use the extra standard/SSE registers.
It's possible almost only on ASM code, and if the algorithm can realy take a great advantage of using more registers.
On some video processing filters/jobs, you can sometimes achieve a speedup of around 40%. That's what i have with x264, when i'm using it to encode video, x64 version is 40% faster than x86 version. If it's 'simple' C code you compile with x86 or x64 compiler, you'll probably not see noticeable speedup.
Big Grin Come on...
Encoding is of course one of the things that benefits from the x64 - because this is one of the tasks that highly benefits from calling more than 2GB.
Decoding - and this is what XBMC is about, since XBMC does not encode video - is not. You will have no benefits from using 64bit in this case, even if you use assembler.

Also - your statement makes not much sense to begin with, because we want the GPU to decode our videos. It is built for that, isn't it?
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

GPU decode only some specific format, corresponding often to more than 90% of the video format you'll find in non anime world. Enter anime world, and you're lucky if GPU decode 50% of your files, without even talking of 10bits h264. I personnaly don't use GPU for video decoding (dxva is disabled), but in case of GPU decoding, it's true 64bits will do nothing. In case of CPU decoding, i've never coded codec, so, i don't know how much you can speed up algorithm using the 64bits specific features. Another information so : The resizes feature (spline36 at least i think) in avisynth were speed up to 30% on x64 version against x86 version (optimizing code using extra registers avaibles).
And my encodes uses less than 2GB, so gain is not here, but algorithms greatly benefits of the x64 specific features.
So, it's possible that optimizing for x64 may speed up some features, impossible to realy tell wich ones and how much, and the so the huge time/work necessary will probably be not worth it.
Well - okay. Never thought about anime Wink
Expanding code to the 64bit registers may make sense if it's about specialized features, there is with no doubt some stuff which _will_ benefit from using x64.

Yeah, you said it - it _may_ speed up some features and there is no way to tell which features at this moment, so spending lots and lots of time on coding a x64-version probably really isn't worth it.

Smile 
From the above discusions I have learned that GPU decoding benefits nothing from X64. Thanks
Alpha3 is available as 64bit build for osx - if somebody would stress test this and compares to the 32bit build and points out something like "Wohoo i can do xyz which will stop all wars on earth" - the chance a dev would look into it would be much bigger Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-07-19, 02:53)martinlcs Wrote: From the above discusions I have learned that GPU decoding benefits nothing from X64. Thanks

Warning : I must have said that it's what i think, but i can't said that i'm sure of it at 100% (more around 80%).
Forgive me if I get this wrong but I was searching this forum for help on using XBMC on a 64bit XP machine.
I might be wrong but the reason for 64 bit support may have arrived.
With 3Tb drives and larger now available, the only Win OS that supports the bigger drives is (hope I get
this right):
XP64bit
Vista 64bit
Win7 64bit
and the server versions of the above of course.
So it seems to me that 32bit MS OS's have been left out and Microsoft have iniiated GPT support (an Intel
iniiative) in these versions only.
There's a lot more to it like which OS can boot from GPT devices and their BIOS support but for this topic its
about why XBMC should support/run in 64bit Windows.
Now I know a WD Elements 3Tb drive will work quite happily on an XP 32 bit machine while it is in its supplied
enclosure and I would guess the My Books products would also but take the drive out and place it in a JBOD
and it will not be seen by XP. It's something to do with the protected MBR section of the hard disk and some
smarts in the WD elements USB interface I reckon.
A workaround is to use Linux which supports these big drives natively (as does OSX).
So that is the fork in the road I am at now. The 64bit XP I installed is no good to me if I can't use XBMC or rather,
I may have another look at my options.
Thanks for reading.
What you got wrong is that XBMC already runs on any 64bit windows version starting from XP. It's just that there isn't a dedicated 64bit version of XBMC for Windows. But you can simply install the 32bit version of XBMC and it should run just fine. I run Windows 7 x64 on all of my computers and I never had any problem with XBMC running on it in 32bit mode.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
^^This.

People probably just want to feel better than the 16GB of RAM they put in their HTPC could actually be used...

Oh the things I see in XBMC Hardware...
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
64bit XBMC0