• 14(current)
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread.
Thats what I am thinking. hopefully in future it will move to SD.
(2012-07-19, 03:45)Dixon Butz Wrote: I understand all that. But XBMC can't be moved to SD. And it can grow to gigs. Doesn't seem like enough room.

use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
(2012-07-19, 03:45)Dixon Butz Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 02:24)geggog Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 00:53)Dixon Butz Wrote: How much free space do those Pivos boxes have? I see they only have 2 gig flash?

The idea is to either i) stream your media over the network, ii) play it off a USB drive connected to the device, or iii) play it off a MicroSD card inserted into the device (up to 32GB).

http://www.pivosgroup.com/#!vstc2=specif...vstc0=xios

I understand all that. But XBMC can't be moved to SD. And it can grow to gigs. Doesn't seem like enough room.

(2012-07-19, 04:11)ykhehra1 Wrote: Thats what I am thinking. hopefully in future it will move to SD.
(2012-07-19, 03:45)Dixon Butz Wrote: I understand all that. But XBMC can't be moved to SD. And it can grow to gigs. Doesn't seem like enough room.

Admittedly I've not spent much time with Android, but can APKs not be run off anything but internal storage?
(2012-07-19, 02:24)geggog Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 00:53)Dixon Butz Wrote: How much free space do those Pivos boxes have? I see they only have 2 gig flash?

The idea is to either i) stream your media over the network, ii) play it off a USB drive connected to the device, or iii) play it off a MicroSD card inserted into the device (up to 32GB).

I understand all that. But XBMC can't be moved to SD. And it can grow to gigs. Doesn't seem like enough room.

Where did you read this?
(2012-07-19, 04:27)drpizznock Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 02:24)geggog Wrote: The idea is to either i) stream your media over the network, ii) play it off a USB drive connected to the device, or iii) play it off a MicroSD card inserted into the device (up to 32GB).

Where did you read this?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1149527
(2012-07-19, 04:20)geggog Wrote: Admittedly I've not spent much time with Android, but can APKs not be run off anything but internal storage?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Use...ttings.xml - look for path substitutions
(2012-07-19, 04:36)Dixon Butz Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1149527

that conversation is about the APK and GUI; they take up an insignificant amount of space by comparison to the library which includes the metadata, thumbnails, playlists and etc.
metadata is data storage, that's different from where xbmc runs from.

Remember, this is a work-in-progress and not a finished release. There are many issues and details to still take care of and which will be dealt with in time.
Yes library data is not located in the same folder as XBMC itself. I don't have access to my device right now but If I remember the path correctly, library data was in something like : /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/ whereas the install path is /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/
Kind of like standard linux sytems where data is stored in ~/.xbmc
on my pios, I don't have /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/.xbmc/userdata/, files folder is empty.
userdata and everthing is under /data/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/cache/apk/assets/
use +/- ⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓⇓
That's strange. I just deleted .xbmc from /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/ and it gets automatically created at xbmc startup. Are you sure it's not there ? Can you do a ls -la in /mnt/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.xbmc/files/ ?
Will there ever be the possibility to use an external player for android? As this would seem like a nice solution for those that can play HD video but may not have the right chips for HW decoding.
(2012-07-19, 10:18)retro11 Wrote: Will there ever be the possibility to use an external player for android? As this would seem like a nice solution for those that can play HD video but may not have the right chips for HW decoding.

Yep that would be handy... if possible... my Xoom plays back 720p files which its not supposed to be able to do easily under ICS with Dice Player....
(2012-07-19, 10:18)retro11 Wrote: Will there ever be the possibility to use an external player for android? As this would seem like a nice solution for those that can play HD video but may not have the right chips for HW decoding.

Some of the players for Android have APIs for such use, and we're pretty sure XBMC can launch other Android applications, so most likely it is possible. I wouldn't expect this to be an option for the short term, as there are a lot of other things the devs are trying to get working first. Then again, the code is open for anyone to work on, so maybe someone will make a patch for external player support.
That would mean losing some options like subtitles addon support and most likely won't allow for streaming from FTP / SMB etc. Not really a perfect situation, but maybe it would suffice for some users.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I know that Dice Player allows SMB shares and URL streaming but unsure about the API. It wouldn't be my first choice to use an external player but if the choice is between that or no xbmc I know what my preference would be.

I guess I was hoping it would be as simple as it is to set it up on PC.

Im keeping my fingers crossed HW acceleration is ok on the S2.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Official OMG, XBMC on Android thread.6