annoying IP address problem
Hey guys,
I am having a bit of an issue that every now and then the last 2 digits of my IP address keeps changing which then stops my Android remote app from connecting. I dont know much about networking ec..t but how come my phone can still auto connect to my wireless network but XBMC remote needs me to input the changed digits of my IP address when it changes. This is happening about every few daysAlso when i change the IP address withing XBMC remote it will then only work as remote control and I get the error 'NullPointerException'....
to me it sounds like you need to set your pc/laptop or what ever xbmc is installed on, a reserved ip.
to do this would go something like this....
sign into your router on pc by typing in your browser something along the lines 192.168.0.1 (<-- for my router) but this maybe different for yours, have a look under your router or in the manual for the ip address and username and password needed to sign in
then chances are in the routers gui there should be a lan tab/option in there should be something along "ip reservation"
now on mine i NEED to know my MAC for the device i want to reserve an ip for, if you dont know your mac have a look in your connection settings as it should tell you there.
then input the ip address and mac if needed you want to keep for your device (i choose what ever ip its been assigned to at that point)
click save this should reboot your router once its rebooted you should be fine

hope this helped

paul

OK thnx will give it a go
This is way easier than that: Just use the hostname of your PC instead of relying on the IP. That will work...
Open a command prompt (On Windows -> Windows-Key + R -> "cmd" -> Enter) and just type hostname. The name which is returned can be used in the android-app instead of the IP.

Instead of messing with IP Reservation you could also just give your host-machine a static IP...
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-07-17, 13:10)HenryFord Wrote: This is way easier than that: Just use the hostname of your PC instead of relying on the IP. That will work...
Open a command prompt (On Windows -> Windows-Key + R -> "cmd" -> Enter) and just type hostname. The name which is returned can be used in the android-app instead of the IP.

Instead of messing with IP Reservation you could also just give your host-machine a static IP...

Hi,
I follwed your instructions and my pc host name is "lee-PC". I put this into the android app and just replaced my IP address with the host name but it didnt work Sad. Is there something else I need to change in the app? Also how would I go about giving my host machine a static IP..Huh

many thanks
Mhm... strange, it works over here. But that might be due to my special-configured hostmachine (I run a DNS-Server...). 

So, static IP is the way to go. 
I assume you use Win7?
For static IP: Click on the Network-Symbol in your toolbar and the "Open Network and Sharing Center"

Then on the left handed side click on "Change Adapter Settings".
Right click on your Adapter and select "Properties". In the new window click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" then "Properties".
In the new window click on "Use the following IP-Adress".
Enter a IP-Adress from your range (for example - if your machine currently has 192.168.1.125 you have to set it to 192.168.1.* (* = 1-254)
As the gateway enter the adress of your router (if you have the adress 192.168.1.125 for example, the router most likely is located at 192.168.1.1).
Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0.
For DNS-Server it should be sufficent to enter the adress of your router as well.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Thanks that did the trick. I remember now doing this when I use to have the ICEFILMS plug in

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
annoying IP address problem0