Adjustable curl timeout for XBMC Player
Hello,

First, I am fully aware about advanccedsettings.xml file and the curlclienttimeout/curllowspeed...etc, they don't affect my proplem no matter how high I set them.

My problem is that I am using streaming services that take about 6-12 seconds before the server respond, XBMC seems (curl of the Player to be specific) timeout with error 28. I am sure that the stream is working because I can download it from any browser or any media player that support streaming. Also, when I try many times for the same stream, sometimes it works, sometimes it fails silently, which prove it is a timeout issue. I read somewhere that XBMC "Player.play" have a hardcoded timeout for receiving the first bytes of the stream using curl which cannot be changed through configs/settings files (unlike any further chunks which can be affected by curlclienttimeout/curllowspeed?). And I tried this on Windows and Mac, with similar outcomes.

Could you allow the user to set an option in advancedsettings.xml, or use the existing one on the first chunk of the stream, or even change the hardcoded timout to a higher number.

I apologize if this is not what is causing the problem, but this is what I grasped through they many trials and errors, and would appreciate if anyone fix this issue or help me fix it.
Hm, looks like our advancedsettings options 'curlclienttimeout' only specifies the curl connect timeout, not the actual timeout. Is there an easy way to reproduce the stream init issue?
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Yes, but through addons that we can't talk about here =)

Any heavily used video link will exhibit that behavior intermittently, especially between 6-10pm EST when the US East coast gets home from work

In order to reproduce it consistently, you'd need to control a remote server and just induce a little bit of artificial lag
Yesterday the streams was playing fine (no 28 curl error), but they day before it hardly played anything when you needed it. I cannot share the stream/server, because I am asked not to by the owner (not until I finish the addon, and they approve it).
There are many streaming addons where I face this problem, the problem is that when I open the stream in another player it plays, but when I open it in XBMC, it timeouts often.
I thought the timout for one of the curl calls in the source code had a hardcoded timeout (or no timeout at all, i.e. default), so maybe it can be exposed to use curlclienttimeout.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Adjustable curl timeout for XBMC Player0