Video Add-Ons vs. VLC
Rather new to XBMC....

From reading these forums, I was successful getting VLC to be my default player (about every third movie, m4vs from Handbrake, I tried to play with the default player hung up or crashed). At first, VLC gave me an error code when attempting to close, but I corrected it with a hint I got, again, from these forums (fixed the arg). Everything was working perfectly....

Until I tried some video add-ons. Some launch with the default player (ESPN, for example) with no problems. Many others (HGTV, for example) caused the screen to go black. I thought XBMC might be trying to launch them in VLC, so I removed the playercorefactory.xml file from the user data folder and it corrected the problem.

So no I have to choose.... movies (with the XML file in) or add-ons (with the XML file out). There's got to be a solution that I'm too unskilled to know. I would suppose that it must be something in the playercorefactory.xml file. Here is the code in the playercorefactory.xml file:

Code:
<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="VLC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe</filename>
      <args> -f "{1}" vlc://quit</args>
      <hidexbmc>true</hidexbmc>
      <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
      <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
    </player>
  </players>

<rules action="prepend">
    <rule name="VLC" type="video" player="VLC"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

Anybody know what's going on? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!
Help is always given at Hogwards to those... No wait... wrong forum.

Nvm

Anyway, would you insist on VLC as your default player or would it also be ok if we tried to figure out why the default player hangs?
We'd need a log file of you playing one that hangs with debug level 1.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I suppose either would ultimately solve the problem.

So let's start with some background information on the default player.
1.) All my movies are m4v encodes from Handbrake 0.9.5 or 0.9.6

2,) This has happened on more than one PC running the newest XBMC. While both PCs are the same model (HP DC7900), a buddy of mine experienced the same dilemma (albeit on a similar PC, the HP DC7800)

3.) The default player has both hung and crashed. Variances include:
a. Video continues to play while audio continues in a ~ 1 second loop
b. video freezes, audio continues
c. both video and audio freeze
d. XBMC crashes and closes

4.) The crashes are inconsistent. The movie may crash the first time and play more normally the next.

Having said this, I will first have to get a movie to mess up.

Okay, I think I got it....

I first tried to get my Phineas and Ferb movie, which had hung in the past, to screw up. When it didn't (at least in the place I remember), I then tried Jake and the Neverland Pirates - Peter Pan Returns. It exhibited some of the behavior I mentioned.

In this case the video hung first but the audio continued for about 2 seconds. The audio then looped a few times and then audio completely dropped out, leaving a still image from the video on the screen until I closed XBMC. I went in and copied this from the log file WITHOUT re-opening XBMC.

http://pastebin.com/ceyD3ybc
UPDATE:
The Phineas and Ferb Crashed this morning

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5191
Have you tried playing these videos on a completely clean xbmc install with no addons etc installed?

I seem to remember a while ago there was an addon that caused videos images to freeze while the audio still played but I can't remember which one it was off the top of my head.

After I disabled the addon videos played fine.
That is correct. A completely clean install of XBMC on a completely clean install of Windows 7.
Well you are getting the following:

Code:
CPullupCorrection: pattern lost on diff

CThread::staticThread : Access violation

CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - asked for new data packet, with nothing available

So i suggest you try the latest alpha 3 To be as up to date with fixed bugs as possible.
Then test again, and if it continues.
Export your library, delete the one in your userdata folder and then import the library you exported earlier again.
This should fix possible corruptions.
Image [RELEASE] Metroid
Image [RELEASE] IrcChat
I will try it. And THANK YOU!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video Add-Ons vs. VLC0