Expose sidemenu in Plugin API
Hi,

The current API for creating plugins covers most of the things needed to create addons. You can create a directory with items with all the info/images/..etc. You can even specify the context menu for each item (and remove the default one if needed). However, there is no way to change/add entries to the sidemenu usually on the left or top of the screen, and activated by going towards it (the one for specifying the sort/view-type..etc). It is true that we can specify the general sort method, but other than that, you cannot add/change anything. I am also aware about being able to write your own scripts that can do more than that, but the plugin API is an easy one, and most general addons don't require a complex script, and be consistent with the skin layout.

Suggestion
My suggestion is to allow adding entry to the sidemenu by the plugin API, that when changed, it can make callback to your addon so you can handle the changes. The controls can be on/off, list-items, and textbox. When the value change, XBMC should call the addon with the changed value so that the addon can handle the change (similar to the action of the context-menu). This can be useful to add feature such as (Most Popular: Today/This Week/This Month/All the time), (Airing: on/off), (Network: ABC/DEF/.../XYZ)...etc. I understand that you can make each choice as a directory item, but this will frustrate the end-user, especially when they don't care about such options (and removing it, will restrict the flexibility for those who need it).

Also another improvement to addon/skin-handling I wrote in another forum and didn't get attention (maybe wrong forum?):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=134966

It might require some extensive development, but I think it will improve addons.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Expose sidemenu in Plugin API0