Win Lock-Ups When Entering XBMC File Browser
Hi everyone.

I've been suffering an issue with XBMC for as long as I can remember (At least with Atlantis, Babylon, Camelot, Dhama, Eden) and its really difficult to explain. However, I will give it a go.

PC SPEC
Intel Quad core Q8200
Nvidia Geforce 9600GT
6GB RAM
Windows 7 x64

My Windows PC is left on 24/7. XBMC gets closed when not being used.
After a fresh reboot, XBMC runs smooth as butter with no issues at all.
After maybe 3-4 days, I notice lockups ONLY in XBMC whenever I navigate to a file browser. (i.e browing videos in files mode, or changing a music fanart).
This lockup starts off short (~5sec) but the more days the PC is on, the greater duration the lockups occur for. Right now its 19 seconds. PC's been on for about a week.
After the lockup unfreezes I can use the file browser (navigate/leave/enter etc) for about another 30 seconds before the lockup happens again.
When this issue starts happening it presents itself at XBMC startup with the same delay (I expect XBMC is trying to access the file system for something upon launch)
Now, if I reboot my PC, the above cycle starts again. All goes fine for a few days before lockups occur.

During the time I have had this problem I have rebuilt my PC several times (complete format and re-install windows), and as mentioned above, it has effected me with all versions of XBMC that I can remember.

Here is a debug log of me launching XBMC and waiting for 19 seconds (Lockup) with a black screen before my home sceen appears and then imidiatley exiting XBMC.
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=SrHFNfPY
The freeze obviously happens at the point in the log where the time goes from 18:58:36 to 18:58:55

I hope someone can shed some light on my issue. I dont use UAC in Win7 and I am the Administrator/Only User. but I can't see this being any kind of permissions problem as XBMC runs fine for days.

I look forward to any response

Thanks in advance
RBX
Wow, over 100 views and no replys.

Does at least anybody else have this same issue? or am I alone.?

RBX
Modertators.....

Please delete this thread as it's obviously wasting forum space.

Regards
RBX
Would it make you feel better if I reply despite not knowing how to fix the issue? If no one replies, then maybe that means no one knew. Don't take it so personally.
Lol, it does make me feel better, Thanks Ned.

Understandable, I just though that since i've been suffering this issue for years with XBMC, someone, somewhere must have suffered the same issue during this time. Guess I really am all alone with this.

Regards
RBX
Not a solution, but maybe a workaround: have your system set to reboot automatically every night. This way, your system has a "fresh start" every morning since this problem seems related to having the system up for an extended period of time.
Thanks for the suggestion artafael

Problem is, my PC is used for everything at all points of the day. for instance i watch videos etc sometimes until 2/3AM most nights so I have got to have the PC on until then. Then at weekends I may have parties until 6/7AM so need PC still on until then also, and some mornings I can be up at 6/7AM so PC needs to be on then.

Ultimatley, theres no time of day that I can gaurentee XBMC is not going to be used and so I have no time of day that I can comfortably have a silent/un-noticable reboot.

Im a sucker for perfection, and having an obvious shutdown/reboot of the PC happen whilst using it total destroys my vision.

However, I will keep this in mind as I may have no other choice.

Thanks again
RBX
Surely you can spare 5 minutes in a 24 hour period to do a reboot? If not at night, then during the day or whenever you sleep or go to school or work. You can schedule the reboot for different times during the week than on weekends. If your personal schedule is too erratic even for that, then program a button on your remote control to perform a system reboot. Just before going to bed/school/work, press the button.
I suppose a mid week 5AM reboot could work. Say mondays wednesdays and fridays. I shall look into using windows scheduling.

Thanks for the suggestion
RBX
Well I set it up to reboot every Mon, Wed & Fri at 5AM. Everything seemed fine for a week but then one day (wednesday) i came home for my lunch and all was working correctly (as you would expect, as it had rebooted several hours earlier), but after work I was hit by the problem again, meaning it doesnt always take several days to crop up. It can happen within the space of say 8 hours. I didnt do anything abnormal between the reboot and suffering the problem. so i'm still unaware of the cause and so the only true real fix for me is to locate the root cause of the issue.

RBX

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lock-Ups When Entering XBMC File Browser0