[HTPC build] AMD A6 or A8 CPU, and which RAM?
Thank you.

Do I not need to buy a kit of two sticks or can I buy any compatible stick times two (like the Samsung one you recommended)?
(2012-07-19, 19:10)Bleikur Wrote: Thank you.

Do I not need to buy a kit of two sticks or can I buy any compatible stick times two (like the Samsung one you recommended)?

You don't have to buy a kit, but it can be hit or miss with matching singles up. The vast majority of the time you would be fine, but figuring out a ram issue can be a pain. So I would suggest a kit.

The 2x2Gb kit was out of stock at newegg, but it is around elseware
Amazon
Micro Center
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
(2012-07-19, 15:25)Bleikur Wrote: Crucial Ballistix Tactical, 4GB (2x2GB), 1.5V, CL9 (9-9-9-24), 1866 MHz (PC3-14900), BLT2CP2G3D1869DT1TX0CEU
This one should be fine, and many users in this forum uses it with their A6 builds....and it listed in Crucial- ASRock A75 Pro4-M Motherboard....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-19, 19:02)Bleikur Wrote: The memory discussion brings up one question. I think I read somewhere that one should preferably use two 2GB memory modules over one module with 4GB. Isn't this correct?

(2012-07-19, 19:04)SSDD Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 19:02)Bleikur Wrote: The memory discussion brings up one question. I think I read somewhere that one should preferably use two 2GB memory modules over one module with 4GB. Isn't this correct?

Correct. To operate in dual channel mode (a way of doubling your speed) you need two sticks. Think one garden hose vs two garden hoses.

This is not correct and is often perpetuated as truth when it is not.

You will only see about a 2-3% increase in performance/speed when using dual channel vs single channel RAM. This was tested in a review a few years ago and I can provide the link for you. It was with DDR2 RAM but is still valid.

With that said I recommend dual channel RAM as it is usually cheaper than a single stick. However, even a single stick is perfectly fine (especially if its cheaper than 2 sticks) and in the HTPC environment you won't notice a bit of difference.
(2012-07-19, 20:50)assassin Wrote:

Correct. To operate in dual channel mode (a way of doubling your speed) you need two sticks. Think one garden hose vs two garden hoses.

You will only see about a 2-3% increase in performance/speed when using dual channel vs single channel RAM. This was tested in a review a few years ago and I can provide the link for you. It was with DDR2 RAM but is still valid.

With that said I recommend dual channel RAM as it is usually cheaper than a single stick. However, even a single stick is perfectly fine (especially if its cheaper than 2 sticks) and in the HTPC environment you won't notice a bit of difference.

Lies! All Lies! I need my movie to play back faster!!!! ARGH!!!!
Have you seen my baseball?
(2012-07-19, 21:05)KraziJoe Wrote: Lies! All Lies! I need my movie to play back faster!!!! ARGH!!!!

If you want your movies to play faster, you need to switch your TV from 120Hz to 240Hz or get a plasma since it's 480Hz.

(2012-07-19, 21:08)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 21:05)KraziJoe Wrote: Lies! All Lies! I need my movie to play back faster!!!! ARGH!!!!

If you want your movies to play faster, you need to switch your TV from 120Hz to 240Hz or get a plasma since it's 480Hz.

It's a 13" BW RCA...How fast is that?

If you are stating that a user will 'feel' the difference between single and dual channel RAM, then yes I agree with you. It will not 'feel' any faster.

If you are stating that there is no measurable difference above 2-3%, then you are mistaken. You are almost doubling the available bandwidth of the RAM to the CPU (link). This is measurable in everything from Folding@Home to video encoding (link).

IMHO because the 2x2 kit is usually cheaper than the 1x4 and you will gain some performance, even if you don't notice it, that is a win win.
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
For what it is worth, I just put my build together with the samsung memory and it has worked out great. I was able to run it at 1.5 volts and get 1866 out of it. Really good stuff. I am still in the process of putting it together and I will post pictures when it is done. Pretty much an A-6 Pack build though.

LOL, really LOL!

By the way, how does one earn reputation points, or rather can one member give another member reputation points?
(2012-07-19, 23:48)Bleikur Wrote:

LOL, really LOL!

By the way, how does one earn reputation points, or rather can one member give another member reputation points?

Click on the +/- button at the bottom of a post to add to someones reputation. You can only add and not take away reputation.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-07-19, 21:08)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

FF will do that......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
That's the thing. I don't see any +/- button at the bottom of a post.
Junior members are probably not yet allowed to add to someones reputation.
(2012-07-20, 00:07)Bleikur Wrote: That's the thing. I don't see any +/- button at the bottom of a post.
Junior members are probably not yet allowed to add to someones reputation.

Bummer Wink
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
(2012-07-19, 22:06)SSDD Wrote:
(2012-07-19, 19:04)SSDD Wrote: Correct. To operate in dual channel mode (a way of doubling your speed) you need two sticks. Think one garden hose vs two garden hoses.

If you are stating that a user will 'feel' the difference between single and dual channel RAM, then yes I agree with you. It will not 'feel' any faster.

If you are stating that there is no measurable difference above 2-3%, then you are mistaken. You are almost doubling the available bandwidth of the RAM to the CPU (link). This is measurable in everything from Folding@Home to video encoding (link).

IMHO because the 2x2 kit is usually cheaper than the 1x4 and you will gain some performance, even if you don't notice it, that is a win win.

I don't think its that clear. Your links don't point out anything more than benchmarks. Some of them "physics" benchmarks.

This further underscores the overestimation of going from 155 to 171

I can post benchmarks too. Here is the review I was referencing: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARA...05-11.html

Quote:As expected, the performance difference between single channel and dual channel DDR2-800 memory using an up-to-date Core 2 Duo system Compare Prices on Core 2 Duo Processors is little to nil, depending on the benchmark - most tests show differences, but they are really small. For games and enthusiast PCs, we recommend sticking to high-performance dual channel RAM, because the memory is one of those components that you want to perform best for a smooth experience. For regular applications, though, it doesn’t really matter much whether you run single or dual channel. Two 1 GB DIMMs typically are cheaper than a single 2 GB module, but a single DIMM will reduce your power consumption by several watts (which might just be more interesting than it is important).

Finally just think about it. You state that you won't "feel" a speed difference yet are doubling the amount of available memory to the PC? Something doesn't add up then.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[HTPC build] AMD A6 or A8 CPU, and which RAM?0