Very simple encryption idea, please read dev-team
This might be a subject that is kinda tabu of several reasons, in some countrys it is even possible that this is not allowed by the government in that country.
Everyone should follow the law in their country! ^^

Anyway. I know a friend that is kind of an expert on linux and, yes short story, he's work is primarily about/in linux. When I once asked him about if it is possible to encrypt every harddrive as single partitions or make one large partition with, for example 4 hdd's and then encrypt them in such a way that you only need a USB-stick to decrypt it. This might seem confusing for some of you but let me explain more!

You have your new HTPC with 12 TB nice fresh WD caviar black disks Smile Now you have a problem. You wanna have X on this computer, but there is a supernormous problem, if you rip Your Own baught DVD or Blu-Ray to this computer you will get more jail time than a man that just killed his wife and two children in other countries. So what is the solution? Simple -> Encryption.
As I said it might be tabu, but Im using my free speech right and hope that that is fine with all others. IF NOT PLEASE JUST x-OUT THE PART THAT IS NOW ALLOWED ON THIS FORUM ! ;|

I would want a simple clean dialog box when you install XBMCbuntu that clearly states "Do you want to make one big partition of all your hdd's and encrypt them?"
Y/n
If Yes, the following will show: "Please insert the smallest USB-stick you possible can find. This USB stick will act as the decryption key so DONT LOOSE IT!"

Now to the funny part, when you start your HTPC and the stick is not insertet you will only get a black screen with the text: "No operating system found".
When you insert the USB-stick, BOOM the login process starts automaticlly.
If you in the middle of a movie or whatever remove the USB-stick of some reason the screen will go black within 5 sec (fast as possible) and you will only get the same message as before: "No operating system found".

I searched the forums earlier and didnt find any post about this, wich I found very strange.
If not for any other reason it is a fun tech thingy to encrypt the system, dont you think? Big Grin
Most of it is proberbly already out there as GNU or something, jsut to implement?

Big GrinTongueCoolNod
Not telling the police how to decrypt your hdd = more jail time than any amount of piracy.
Your suggestion is not possible.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Would love for you to sit on your USB stick and find your 12TB of data all useless.
Using TrueCrypt with a keyfile stored on a USB stick would accomplish most of what you are asking for.
Quote:if you rip Your Own baught DVD or Blu-Ray to this computer you will get more jail time than a man that just killed his wife and two children in other countries.
Don't know about where you live, but it is actually legal to have 1 backup copy of and DVD or Bluray that you own (US law). Meaning if you keep a media server, and only stream to you Media Center(s) you are in the good
(2012-07-21, 03:04)isamu.dragon Wrote:
Quote:if you rip Your Own baught DVD or Blu-Ray to this computer you will get more jail time than a man that just killed his wife and two children in other countries.
Don't know about where you live, but it is actually legal to have 1 backup copy of and DVD or Bluray that you own (US law). Meaning if you keep a media server, and only stream to you Media Center(s) you are in the good

Having the backup is legal. Making the backup is illegal (stripping DRM). So actually, no. Another example of how US copyright law is all messed up.
I find this hard to believe and nothing short of overkill.

iTunes rips DVD's to your iTunes Library (on your computer) then COPIES it AGAIN to your iPod. Are iPods banned in your country too?
Maraschino - Web based HTPC Organiser. Keep track of all your web based programs all in one place.
Home Page - Repo - Bug Tracker - Support Forum.
(2012-07-21, 04:16)DejaVu Wrote: I find this hard to believe and nothing short of overkill.

iTunes rips DVD's to your iTunes Library (on your computer) then COPIES it AGAIN to your iPod. Are iPods banned in your country too?

iTunes doesn't rip DVDs. It only rips CDs, which don't have DRM protection on them.

It's still highly unlikely that anyone would go after an end user for ripping movies they owned.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Very simple encryption idea, please read dev-team1