Assistant with i3 GD05B build
Hi everybody, and thanks for a great forum. I have been going through these posts and it has been delightful Wink

I have used eskro recommendations for Group 7 as a base for my build. I need comments on the quality of this.

What I want is playback of all audio and video formats, including 3D Blu ray. I will at most have an SSD and one WD green 1TB in the case. I want the setup to be very silent, no sound from 3 ft away. Q: Will the three built in fans suffice in keeping things cool and quiet Huh

I have not selected a PSU yet, I need something silent, don't really care if it is a Pico or something inside the case. Also, I live in Sweden where we have 100-240v and 50-60 Hz for the power. Can you recommend a PSU Huh

I want to use GD05B case as it looks nice and fits everything easily. Following is what I have so far, though I am willing to switch out the mobo and CPU if you have some input on them.

Case
SilverStone GD05B
Motherboard
Gigabyte LGA GA-B75M-D3H
CPU
Intel Core I3-2105
Memory
Kingston Technology HyperX Blu 4 GB Kit
SSD
Crucial 64 GB m4
Blu ray writer / 3D playback
Pioneer Electronics USA Internal BD Writer (BDR-207DBK)
USB WiFi
Wl Adpt Rosewill

I hope you can spare few minutes to share your knowledge and expertise Big Grin
And one thing, is a discrete GPU necessary or will the HD 3000 doHuh

And let's say that I want to be able to do light gaming later on, how hard is it to add a GPU after the factHuh
HD3000 will be very good for now.

And for later: "Even though GD05's diminutive size allows it to easily integrate into any home theater cabinet, it can still accommodate an impressive list of standard components such as 5.25" device, two 3.5" hard drives, a 2.5" SSD, a standard ATX power supply, and two high-end graphics cards up to 11 inches." it looks good as long as the discrete GPUs you want fit the depth.

If you can find a Seasonic 300 or 350W power supply or the Antec EA380D in Sweden those are good power supply choices. They might not be sufficient for converting to a gaming HTPC later on if you need high-end dual-graphics cards but they will support a single mid-range card.
Good to know about the expansion possibilities. I'll look into these psus. What about noise, if I stick to what I have now and add Antec psu, can I keep the build quiet? I saw some faq from assassin blogg where he tunes the fans to 5V. s that necessary?
The aforementioned PSU are very quiet in my experience with them.

As for the fans, I don't have that case so I will let others comment. You can always try them as-is and if it's too noisy try the 5V mod. Noise is very subjective, so you may or may not find the CPU fan and the case fans "too noisy" depending on you, your environment and your preferences.
Ok I hope someone can comment on the fans.

Will I need a separate CPU fan or cooling? I am a bit stressed that I am forgetting something :-)

Thank you for your help!
The i3-2105 comes with a CPU cooler. The one that comes with the CPU is often referred to as the "stock" cooler. Whether or not it's noisy depends on the listener. Some says it's fine, some say it's not.
I'll echo what Dougie said about the CPU cooler. Some people can't stand it, but most people around here have no problem with it in regards to noise. Also, you would be able to use your motherboard to control the CPU fan speed and lower it if you chose to.

On the case fan front, I don't have any experience with that model, but here is a quote and link to a review for it. They are pretty sensative about what they call 'quiet' and that's what they called the stock fans.

"The baseline noise of the GD05 is excellent, quiet with all fans at 9V and below. Even at 12V, the noise generated is modest as the acoustic profile is dominated by turbulence and does not have the unpleasant whiny, droning character of most stock fans."
"The supplied stock fans are remarkably quiet compared to most."

Link to review of the Silverstone GD05
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
I have the GD05 and modded the three supplied fans to 5 volts and they are silent but still keep my HTPC cool.

For a psu I recommend the Silverstone ST40F-ES, the psu is extremely quiet and has a downward facing fan that matches perfectly with the air vent that is located directly under the psu mounting position.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Assistant with i3 GD05B build0