Cheapest BASIC hardware for Decent Performance
Question 
Hi all,
I want to try setup a really low powered system to be my Media Server/Streamer.

I am going to install Linux/XBMC on it and it will then stream the movies from my NAS box to the TV.
I will also use it for the DNLA server to stream to my TV in my bedroom when necessary.

I just got a Raspberry Pi that I was hoping I could use for this but the performance on it just isn't good enough and although it works, its very laggy and especially with the 2Gb 1080 files it really struggles.

Just looking for a bare bones system that would be able to do this as cheaply as possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks! Big Grin
Check here, I know its a long thread but can probably check out the first 3 pages of it and the last 6 pages and pretty much be up to speed.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94199

The cheapest solution would probably be to find parts you may already have to re-use
+1
Yeah if you can reuse stuff it will really help keep the cost down. Otherwise you have to pick 2 out of 3 ---> Cheap, Fast, Reliable

Edit: But all 3 of those terms are relative. YMMV
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
Be wary of "barebones" system sold by some vendors.
Sure, they seem to give you enough to get started, and the price is almost always awesome,..but,.....
Just as the name signifies,..you'll probably have to purchase additional items that will get you a complete system.
AND, having to purchase these additional parts can also start to break your original budget.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest BASIC hardware for Decent Performance0