Starting Firefox from XBMC Eden
Hello,
Forgive me if I have not posted this in the right place... I am trying to start Firefox from within XBMC using the advanced launcher. I have Firefox installed and it's working from the desktop, however, when I use the advanced launcher and drill down into the directory the executable doesn't seem to be listed. Can you help?

Thank you!
Which operating system?
xbmcbuntu
The path/executable is: /usr/bin/firefox
For some reason on my system it was installed in usr/jim/firefox. When I go to the desktop I can see all the files in the folder and I have set up a source within the l;auncher, but when I drill down to it to execute it there is nothing I can click on. Thanks for your help!
(2012-07-25, 15:06)n88yanks Wrote: When I go to the desktop I can see all the files in the folder and I have set up a source within the l;auncher, but when I drill down to it to execute it there is nothing I can click on.
I'm not clear on your response... is your problem resolved?
No - I still have the same problem. I'm not sure why the executable is not showing up in the advanced launcher. I've set up a source to point to that directory, but when I drill down to it in the launcher the executable is not listed. Thank you!
So, did you check for the existence of /usr/bin/firefox ?

If you installed Firefox via Synaptics, that's where it should be located.
It is not in that directory. I installed firefox from the chromuim browser in the xbmcbuntu desktop and it put it in /home/jim/firefox. it works fine from the desktop - I just want to be able to launch it from xbmc eden. Thanks.
(2012-07-25, 19:36)n88yanks Wrote: I've set up a source to point to that directory, but when I drill down to it in the launcher the executable is not listed.
The "Add source" option is used to setup a new media source and is not applicable to your requirement to simply launch Firefox. Just select "Advanced Launcher", select "Standalone (normal PC executable)", select "Home folder", scroll down and select "firefox", skip "Application arguments", but do provide a title for this launcher. You can skip the remaining steps to specify the platform, thumbnail location and fanart location.

Since you aren't trying to run game emulators or doing something exotic, it may be simpler to use the Executor add-on to launch Firefox instead of Advanced Launcher.
Thank you - I have the executor addon installed and I am able to drill down to firefox and click on it, but when I do nothing seems to happen. Should I open another thread for that. I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks!
Did you complete the steps to creating a launcher for Firefox? In other words, after you drill down the file browser and select the "firefox" executable from your hard drive location, you will be prompted to provide arguments. Just click Done and you will be prompted to enter a title (should be prefilled with "firefox"). Enter your desired title or accept the default value and click Done. Now go back to the home page and select PROGRAM. Click on the "Executor" entry and you should see your "firefox" entry listed. Click "firefox" and it should windowize XBMC and launch Firefox. When you close Firefox, your XBMC window is restored to fullscreen.
Well, I'd thought I'd done all that, but I must be missing something basic here. (My apologies).

When I drill down to programs, then to executor, and when I click on executor I get a directory structure again to start the setup of the executor again. I must be doing something wrong here. Sorry for the newbie questions....Can you help?

Thank you!
Hmm... there seems to be a problem with Executor adding the first program to be launched. I've been using it for some time and have existing programs, so I don't encounter this problem when adding new programs. As a test, I deleted all my existing programs from Executor and, when I attempted to add a program (the first one), I saw the same thing as you. This may(?) be a problem with using Executor with Eden and maybe that's why it's not available in the Eden add-on repository. However, it seems to work fine as far as launching external programs... as long as you can get the first program added to it.

To get around this problem you can add the following two lines to this file:
~/.xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.executor/programs.cfg
Code:
[Firefox]
exec = /home/jim/firefox
That's assuming (based on your previous post) that your executable is called "firefox" (with no file extension) and it is located in the directory "/home/jim/". Otherwise, change the path/executable in the second line to the appropriate values for your system.

Since XBMCbuntu doesn't come with a default text editor, you can edit the file as follows:
  1. Switch to the XBMCbuntu desktop (Exit XBMC and, on the log-in page, select session type as "XBMCbuntu" instead of "XBMC" and complete your log-in)
  2. Launch a terminal session (under Start menu > System Tools)
  3. Enter the following command:
    Code:
    nano .xbmc/userdata/addon_data/plugin.program.executor/programs.cfg
  4. Enter the two statements from above
  5. Press Ctrl-O
  6. Press ENTER
  7. Press Ctrl-X
  8. Close the terminal session
  9. Log-out of the XBMCbuntu desktop and log-in with the XBMC session type
You should now see an entry for "Firefox" when you launch Executor.
Thank you so much! That worked perfectly! I had to create the plugin directory and the config file, but after that it worked great! Thank you!

I still have a couple of other issues to work through - I'll open another thread. Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Starting Firefox from XBMC Eden1