My first HTPC - 007 would be proud of this gadget
Alright, So I am doing some testing on my Desktop and I ran into an issue. When I play movies in XBMC on my desk top I get the black crop bars on all 4 sides of the movie instead of just the top and bottom for widescreen movies. I went into the AMD vision center and tried to adjust the under/over scaling and it got better, but still have a gap on the left and right side of the movie. Using the option in XBMC to stretch or zoom didn't work either. The menus are all full screen and look great, its just the movie play back that's small.

From what I remember when I ran xbmc on my laptop out on my tv... laptop has an intel chip... the movie played at full screen.

How do I fix this? This will be good to know when my parts come and I build this rig.

Thanks
Does your TV have a "Just Scan" or "1:1" mode? Make sure it's not in some "wide" mode or anything like that.

For my TV that doesn't have a 1:1 mode, usually the scaling works. It's not perfect but better than what you're experiencing. For my TV that does have 1:1 mode no scaling is needed. I have both Intel and AMD and both behave the same way on either TV.
Also, XBMC has a 'view mode' setting that may be wrong for your setup.

Link to the video playback Wiki
HTPC: i5 3570K || Noctua NH-L12 || ASRock Z77E-ITX || 8GB Samsung Eco || Intel 330 120GB || Lian Li PC-Q09 ||
Main Desktop: i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz || Epic 180 on Epic T1000 TIM || Asus Z68 Deluxe || 16GB Ripjaws @ 2133 ||
|| Maingear Shift || EVGA 8800GTS 640MB || OWC Mecury Electra 3G || 320GB, 2x500GB, 1.5Tb, 2x2TB ||
(2012-07-26, 05:08)ShakenNotStured Wrote: Alright, So I am doing some testing on my Desktop and I ran into an issue. When I play movies in XBMC on my desk top I get the black crop bars on all 4 sides of the movie instead of just the top and bottom for widescreen movies. I went into the AMD vision center and tried to adjust the under/over scaling and it got better, but still have a gap on the left and right side of the movie. Using the option in XBMC to stretch or zoom didn't work either. The menus are all full screen and look great, its just the movie play back that's small.

From what I remember when I ran xbmc on my laptop out on my tv... laptop has an intel chip... the movie played at full screen.

How do I fix this? This will be good to know when my parts come and I build this rig.

Thanks
Try these-

Try these settings-

1. Update AMD driver from here- AMD Driver Autodetect
2. If you connect it to AVR, you can set it to pass-through video
3. You can start off with recommended screen resolution in Windows 7 control panel display/screen resolution
4. Enable DXVA2 and select DXVA as render method, but disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback
5. Enable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output

Here are some screen shots-

-If it still doesn't fill up the entire screen, you can use underscan/overscan option in CCC my digital flat panel/scaling option to fill up the screen.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-26, 16:17)bluray Wrote: Image

Fixed!! for some reason my desktop had the "Allowed error in aspect ratio to minimize black bars" to 19%. Put it back to 0 and movies are looking great. SWEET!!!

I am getting super excited... HURRY UP UPS!!

UPS is never fast enough! Smile
I know! I also just bought another 2T green HDD for my server.. running out of space on my other Movie Drives.
I'm really liking this setup - couple of questions for the OP or others..

When ordering from perfecthometheater.com did you stay with the 300 or go to the 200 model of the VFD / IR - curious if you wanted the linux compatibility of the 200 vs the additional display functionality of the 300 (sans linux)? Did you order any shorter SATA cables from perfecthometheater.com?

I'm also curious about the configuration ability to power on / off via learning remote using the VFD modul (cold start).
I stayed with the 300 model VFD / IR... if it doesn't run with XBMCbuntu then I will just use win 7.... I didn't want to go the other way around. I am sure there is some means of it working in Linux. I did order some shorter cables. I didn't want to waste too much space wrapping up a 2 foot long sata cable.

I have a Harmony One to learn from the remote that comes with the case, but I am sure you could always use EventGhost or whatever it is to program remotes for either IR.

Half of my parts are in Iowa now, so they should be here tomorrow... hopefully everything is in by Tuesday and I can start building... In the mean time I will keep ripping movies =)
First goodie box came today!!

Mobo, cpu, ram, intake fan, and SSD Big Grin

My exhaust fan and another 2TB server HDD should be here tomorrow or Weds, the M10 case will be here tomorrow, and at 1:30 am this morning UPS has this as the tracking update for my slim slot load blu ray drive "AN EXCEPTION IN THE SORTING PROCESS HAS OCCURRED. UPS HAS TAKEN CORRECTIVE ACTION.[X]" Angry WTF!!!

So hopefully I am good to build by tomorrow... Weds at the latest.. I forgot to order a slimline sata cable for the Blu ray, so I might see if I can run out to a local Best buy/ radio shack/ walmart and see if I can find one so I don't have to wait for shipping.

pretty stoked right now... minus UPS sending my blu ray to the wrong location!
OK having some problem here. The PC is built but when I boot to install windows 7 off the usb it says "No device drivers were found" blah blah. I redownloaded my win 7 iso and put it back onto a usb and still no dice. I dunno what the problem is and why windows wont install
Same issue, as noted earlier. For the time being I have ditched Windows all together, but I am very curious to know how to resolve this issue. Do let us know how you will manage to resolve this as I was completely unable.
Hardware|Software: AMD A6-3500, ASRock A75M-ITX, 8GB DDR3-1866, WD Green 2TB | Linux (Kodibuntu)
Hardware|Software: HiMedia Q10 Pro with WD Red 2TB, Samsung KS8000/Denon X1300W/ 5.1.2 | Latest custom firmware

Open Source is Good for You & for the World
(2012-08-02, 01:04)ShakenNotStured Wrote: OK having some problem here. The PC is built but when I boot to install windows 7 off the usb it says "No device drivers were found" blah blah. I redownloaded my win 7 iso and put it back onto a usb and still no dice. I dunno what the problem is and why windows wont install

Use USB2.0 port for installation. USB3.0 is not recognized until you install drivers. Also how did you configure usb drive for windows? If you copied the Win7 iso then it won't work. You need to extract the contents of the iso to usb drive. You can use UltraISO to make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive. From UltraISO menu select Bootable>Write Disk Image and select your usb drive to write the image to.
(2012-08-02, 07:25)baijuxavior Wrote:
(2012-08-02, 01:04)ShakenNotStured Wrote: OK having some problem here. The PC is built but when I boot to install windows 7 off the usb it says "No device drivers were found" blah blah. I redownloaded my win 7 iso and put it back onto a usb and still no dice. I dunno what the problem is and why windows wont install

Use USB2.0 port for installation. USB3.0 is not recognized until you install drivers. Also how did you configure usb drive for windows? If you copied the Win7 iso then it won't work. You need to extract the contents of the iso to usb drive. You can use UltraISO to make a bootable Windows 7 USB drive. From UltraISO menu select Bootable>Write Disk Image and select your usb drive to write the image to.

Or if you don't have UltraISO installed, is this small program easy to use:
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/
Linux Mint: XBMC PVR Xvba
HTPC: AMD Fusion A8-3870k. ASRock A75 Pro4-M. 4GB DDR3. Intel 320 SSD 40GB . Silverstone ML03
Have you do this "ANTEC ISK 300-65 HTPC A8-3820" to create bootable USB........

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC - 007 would be proud of this gadget0