videodb element in nfo files
Looking at the help on import/export, it makes reference to using the element
Code:
<videodb> </videodb>
for importing but it isn't clear when you have to use that. In particular I am using the musicvideo element to add metadata. Maybe there is a distinction of "importing" vice "scanning"?

scott s.
Correct - <videodb> is the root tag when importing or exporting more than one <movie> or <musicvideo> block. You don't need it (or want it) for an .nfo file.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks. got it. Also two other things:

1. is it necessary to have the line
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes" ?>
on the nfo file?

2. What characters require escaping (assuming UTF-8) &amp, &lt, &gt &quot or others?

Edit: OK a third question

3. Can you have multi artist, genre etc in those elements? If so they follow the separator convention (default ' / ')?

scott s.
1. No, but ideally you would, as you want utf8 anyway.

2. apos as well.

3. it's best to just have multiple tags.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Got it. after a lot of testing, it appears that XBMC is unable to parse .nfo files encoded in Unicode (UTF-16). That seems like a bug, or at least I think it should be a feature. My understanding is that xml parsers "should" handle unicode by default, even without an encoding set in the declaration, though I suppose it can be said this is an ".nfo" file not xml. At a minimum, I think a trouble report should be written against the documentation to advise that only UTF-8 is supported (if I am right about this).
Does it work with the encoding specified?

(2012-07-26, 07:32)jmarshall Wrote: Does it work with the encoding specified?

Not for me (using encoding="UTF-16"). The files have BOM with little-endian encoding (0XFF 0XFE).

scott s.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
videodb element in nfo files0