Windows 8 - Launch XBMC in foreground
Hi all.

I know that if you want to use a PC as a dedicated HTPC it's possible to disable Metro UI in Windows 8 (essentialy making it a kiosk PC) and booting straight to XBMC. But in my case, I use my notebook for work and play and at the end of the day hook it up to my TV / Monitor and use it as a media PC. Usually I'd use tools like Remote Launcher for android to open up XBMC from the comfort of my couch or bed and then the Android XBMC Remote app to navigate. But with Windows 8 and Metro it seems that I can't do this anymore. Running the "Launch XBMC" command does start XBMC, but it starts in the Desktop portion of Windows 8.

Has anyone managed to find a way to either switch to the desktop portion or better yet, launch the app to foreground? Clicking on the XBMC tile works, but I really wanted to keep using only command lines to simplify the entire process (using single taps to launch, kill, restart xbmc et all!).

Thanks in advance.
* gentle nudge in hopes someone will have an answer*

Hi,

You can try this tool http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It gives you back a start button in Windows 8 but als has the option to automatically load your Windows desktop on login.
Many thanks. I actually had it installed so I could get my start button back. Old habits die hard I guess. Didn't realize it had the option to launch to desktop. Will give this a whirl as soon as I get home. Forgot my charger today an battery already near dead.

just right click start buttion and select "on login go to the desktop"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 8 - Launch XBMC in foreground0