Intel HD 4000/5000 vs Nvidia ION 2
Hello,

I plan to buy my first HTPC to get XBMC. After some researches, I wonder which GPU chipset is best suitable to run XBMC under Linux (I can also get windows but Linux is preferred).

I've saw that there's some issues with Intel linux drivers, whereas Nvidia drivers seem to be very stable for Linux.

Can I get your experiences for both platforms ?

Thanks a lot,
Aixki
The Intel HD 4000/5000 should be able to handle all your HD media without problems. The Nvidia drivers for Linux are probably better than Intel's but still the Intel should perform very well for media playback. You should only notice a performance difference if you're doing some gaming but not when playing movies. One thing to keep in mind though is that (if you're going to run Linux) whatever you do, don't get an AMD card or you'll be in for a world of hurt.
I vote ION2 because I know it and love it. However Intel HD seems to be doing really well. If you want HD audio over HDMI you will need a kernel >=3.8 for the intel build.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks to both of you for your answers.

I don't especially need HD Audio, but I own a Yamaha AV capable of decoding HD audio, so why not, even if my sound system is just 3.1.

Anyway, I've read that Intel HD Graphics such as HD 400 was limited in RGB range to 16-235, and a lot of people have some issued to get dark black. Is it definitely solved ?

Thank Wink
there is no such limitation.
Really ?

I say that because of these kind of threads

A lot of people seem to need to use xrandr to mention that RGB is limited. So is it about a driver issue ?
ion2 is on atom kit.

Intel HD is on Celeron kit

Intel HD2000/4000/etc is on i3/i5/i7 kit.

All play 1080p extremely well. But the speed of the processor is slowest on ion2.

Best balance is intel HD/Celeron. Plays 1080p, SBS 3D and is quick to boot/smooth on UI for xbmc. [NUC/BRIX] but doesn't do full frame packed 3D.

I have a Revo 3700 [atom/ion2] and a NUC [Celeron/Intel HD] I love them both! [but I don't do 3D either!]
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

@jammyb. Thanks for the nfo!!!!
(2013-07-29, 17:23)aixki Wrote: Really ?

I say that because of these kind of threads

A lot of people seem to need to use xrandr to mention that RGB is limited. So is it about a driver issue ?

Yes. A failed display auto detection, but no problem at all - as you can set it to full once started. I suggest HSW+ all of those can decode at least 4k@30fps - which an ion cannot do at all.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel HD 4000/5000 vs Nvidia ION 20