No HD Audio Codecs?
I had a half built AMD FX 8150 system so I finished it off last night with a Kingston SSD and an nVidia 580GTX, I know the card is overkill but it's what I had. Problem is that there are no HD audio codecs listed and none of my movies will play in DTS HD or TrueHD. The system I built with a cheap 430GTX works perfectly for HD audio. Why is that?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
You must be doing something wrong. I have a GTX 580 and mine worked fine. Thats in my gaming pc and I was testing XBMC out on my TV and my Sony audio receiver. It worked fine. I dont know what to tell you other than it will work. Sorry that I'm actually not helping you though.

PS, I have a 430 in my main HTPC also. Smile
I did some Googling and see people complaining that nVidia cripples their high end cards. I'd hoped to use the 580 for high performance graphics so I could game too. It's not showing anywhere near the amount of codecs that my 430 shows in my current HTPC. I'd just hoped that I could get a more current generation card in there for some high performance graphics and still have DTS HD and TrueHD.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
maybe i'm wrong then. if i think about it today i will move my gaming pc to the tv and hook it up. I need to unplug it and blow the dust off outside anyway. lol, i'll never remember. you may could run a second graphic card?
Just to get these stupid questions out of the way:
1) It is hooked up with HDMI, correct?
2) You are using a Frodo build, correct?
3) In the Audio settings, you have enabled HDMI output, TrueHD cable receiver, DTS-HD capable receiver, and set the Audio output device and Passthrough output device to the correct WASAPI:HDMI... device?
4) You're not using an ancient nVidia driver, correct?
All stupid questions confirmed. :-)

At lunch I bought a 630 GT which on the back says it bitstreams DTS HD and TrueHD so I'll update the thread with what happens when I get home.
(2012-07-25, 16:26)patseguin Wrote: I did some Googling and see people complaining that nVidia cripples their high end cards. I'd hoped to use the 580 for high performance graphics so I could game too. It's not showing anywhere near the amount of codecs that my 430 shows in my current HTPC. I'd just hoped that I could get a more current generation card in there for some high performance graphics and still have DTS HD and TrueHD.
Are you sure? I thought somebody in here can bitstream with it. This article said it can- NVIDIA GTX 580 Review......

Is your AVR support DTS-HD/TrueHD? Make sure that you do these-

1. Connects GTX 580-->AVR-->HDTV via two HDMI cables
2. Update the latest Nvidia driver from here- Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products
3. Select Nvidia HDMI output in Windows 7 control panel

If you need more info on bitstreaming, you can check out this thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC.........
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-07-25, 21:52)bluray Wrote: Select Nvidia HDMI output in Windows 7 control panel

I think I had to do something like this when I was testing mine out.
Yes I have a high end receiver Pioneer VSX53 that supports everything. I run everything through me receiver, so the HTPC was going into the receiver by HDMI and then a single HDMI out to the TV. I also already had the latest driver. Nothing I did would give me HD Audio.

I was walking around Best Buy today and grabbed a 630GT. I swapped out my 580GTX and did a clean installation of the driver. After 2 reboots I was done, set the VSX53 as the default audio device, checked the supported formats, and everything I needed was listed, TrueHD, DTS HD, etc. I wonder if they just make their high end cards just not capable of bitsreaming HD audio because they are really meant for desktop gaming systems.

I also set up stereoscopic 3D and wonder how I can in corporate that into my entertainment. My 3D ripped movies all seem to be SBS and I'm not sure how to make XMC flip to a 24Hz mode automatically anyways.
"This port type has supported bit streaming for Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio over HDMI since the 260 driver release. Meaning that if you choose to use this card in a multipurpose rig, you can take advantage of this ability for HD sound for a full 3D Blu-ray movie experience. "
This was taken from the site bluray mentioned.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx580/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HD Audio Codecs?0