Air Play features with New OSX Mountain Lion X
Not really sure what section this should go under.

Anyways I am sure alot of you are aware the new Version of Mac OSX Mountain Lion was released today. My xbmc is on a Windows PC but my laptop is a Mac. One of the new features is you can Airplay Mirror your laptop or Mac onto the TV with an Apple TV. I know xbmc has the airplay feature as well and just curious if anyone has tested it out and how its working for you.

Only reason I want to update my laptop to this new OSX is for the Airplay Mirroring feature. But if it doesnt work all that great with xbmc not a big deal to update then.

Just wondering what you guys opinons on Mirror your Mac on the TV with xbmc.
without ever having used airplay, i can 99.9% guarantee you that apple has added obfuscation in some way and that it won't work before hackers liberate the protocol again.
Oh alright Well I shall wait then. Would be a very cool feature IMO.
As noted on the AirPlay (wiki) page on the XBMC Wiki, XBMC does not support being an AirPlay Mirroring server.
This would be a fun idea. I test out of lot of my XBMC add ons and hacks on my newer Mac before transferring them to my HTPC/old MacBook.
Ah, I know immediately upon upgrade I DID see just briefly the Display drop down in the Status Menu up top but its since never shown.
Upon rereview of the Wiki I see it does state that:

AirPlay mirroring is currently unsupported.

But YouTube searches seems to show AirPlay mirroring w/ Macs and an Apple TV2, are those supported?
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
Mirroring is unsupported when XBMC is the AirPlay server.

When using native Apple TV 2 (or 3) AirPlay server (jailbroken or not), then the desktop mirroring from 10.8 will work. There's nothing for apps to actually support with desktop mirroring to a native AirPlay server, as everything in the OS is mirrored.

I have not tried 10.8 yet, but I had tried a 3rd party app that enabled desktop mirroring on my mac, and for XBMC it worked great.
(2012-07-26, 10:20)Ned Scott Wrote: Mirroring is unsupported when XBMC is the AirPlay server.

When using native Apple TV 2 (or 3) AirPlay server (jailbroken or not), then the desktop mirroring from 10.8 will work. There's nothing for apps to actually support with desktop mirroring to a native AirPlay server, as everything in the OS is mirrored.

I have not tried 10.8 yet, but I had tried a 3rd party app that enabled desktop mirroring on my mac, and for XBMC it worked great.

Ok, so to be clear XBMC doesnt support Airplay mirroring but the Apple TVs will ? ( I dont have an Apple TV atm)
Agreed this would be neat, even with XBMCbuntus new desktop I have to concede Airplay mirroring sounds an intruigingly nice feature.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQI15_9s4U

Video of airplay in action. By the looks of it, Airplay simply copies everything on screen to the TV. I dont have an apply TV, but will be picking one up tomorrow, will let you know the results.
Hey Guys,

Just letting you know, that Airplay mirroring works with XBMC with Moutain Lion. I will try upload a video shortly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sGKh3cw2uw
Ok thanks for answering that question I was interested too!
Now one more please- does Mountain Lion+XBMC work perfectly with apple remote?
just press the menu button on the remote and it starts fine with no errors at all??
Sorry to dig this up but this is something i would like added in a future update.
I found this here... http://www.airserverapp.com/en/Info/WhatsNew
So it looks like someone has already reversed engineered it or found source?

Chris.
A few companies/groups have, but so far none of them have made it open source or told us any hints (I asked at least one of them myself).
Ok thanks, It's nice to know you are trying!

Chris.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Air Play features with New OSX Mountain Lion X0