Thinking of building a NAS
As of now my collection is scattered about on several older external drives. I would like to finally get it all organized in a better environment. I have an old computer lying around and wanted to make sure that it should work fine for this project. Note size/noise isnt something I care about.

MOBO: MSI K8N Neo4/SLI 939
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM: 2x512MB PC 3200 Corsair

Mobo has 4 SATA 3Gb/s ports in it. Figure I can run FreeNAS from USB.

Any reason not to just use this?
XBMC System:
Windows 7, E8400, 2GB Ram, 8800GTS, 12.3 “Frodo”, Aeon Nox 4.1.9

Gaming Rig:
Windows 7, i72600k, 8GB Ram, Radeon HD 6950 2 GB, 128GB SSD.
This hardware should be able to be used for a nas without problems. But for a nas a more importand question is: what is the power usage of these components?

I have a pc with the same processor that uses 100+watt idle! And peeks to 160 when uder load. You don't wan't that for a 24/7 nas....
(2012-07-26, 12:41)Johnnygo Wrote: This hardware should be able to be used for a nas without problems. But for a nas a more importand question is: what is the power usage of these components?

I have a pc with the same processor that uses 100+watt idle! And peeks to 160 when uder load. You don't wan't that for a 24/7 nas....

Exactly,....I'm all about recycling or re-purposing older PCs and their components,..but the newer stuff can be much more efficient.
I currently have my unRaid server powered off most of the time since it really does make a ding in my monthly electricity bill when run 24/7
Working towards replacing MOBO, CPU, and RAM, in the near future.
However, I may still power on, only when I need it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Thinking of building a NAS0