Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives
(2012-08-17, 16:12)BroLo Wrote: Just an update.

I ordered the Revo RL70 in the end. I saw some great posts about it so I went for it, got 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD.

Got it for £171. When I get to use it I'll post about my experience.

did you install openelec on to it if so how did you get on and can you help a newbie like yourself instal it as well i need a little help in fact a lot what i need eg equitment what computer i install what from what i need to install etc
i have the same system as you with linux preinstalled
(2012-08-18, 09:24)podgey3874 Wrote:

I ordered the Revo RL70 in the end. I saw some great posts about it so I went for it, got 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD.

did you install openelec on to it if so how did you get on and can you help a newbie like yourself instal it as well i need a little help in fact a lot what i need eg equitment what computer i install what from what i need to install etc

I haven't gotten it yet. I only placed the order when I posted that.

From what I have read installing OpenElec is pretty easy and doesn't require and post installation setup (e.g. drivers atc). It works out of the box.

Assuming you have a Windows PC as your main PC follow this link, then this one.
(2012-08-19, 03:35)BroLo Wrote:
(2012-08-18, 09:24)podgey3874 Wrote:

I haven't gotten it yet. I only placed the order when I posted that.

From what I have read installing OpenElec is pretty easy and doesn't require and post installation setup (e.g. drivers atc). It works out of the box.

Assuming you have a Windows PC as your main PC follow this link, then this one.

It states USB key bye this does it mean a USB stick and do I need two of these ?
Witch install do we need for our revo?
And am I correct in thinking you do it all on your main windows pc my Sony vaio laptop then just plug in to revo when it comes and that's basically it ?
Would it give the function to boot straight to xbmc when switched on as I am wanting as media centre only is that what your after
Installing OpenElec on the Revo 70 is easy. Just download the latest Fusion build of Openelec, currently 1.95.6 (http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC_PVR....6.tar.bz2). Unpack with your fav unpacker. Find an USB-Stick 128mb or larger. Run the Create_installstick.bat file if your on a Windows OS. It will then format and move all files needed onto the USB stick. Move this USB stick to the Revo 70. Start your Revo and follow the info on screen. After about 2-3 minutes you have installed OpenElec. Now, adjust audio and video if needed to your likeings and add your movies, music or whatever.

OpenElec got an internal update function. This will update openelec to its latest version automaticaly (if you choose to).

Have fun.

(2012-08-19, 17:57)emanon Wrote: Installing OpenElec on the Revo 70 is easy. Just download the latest Fusion build of Openelec, currently 1.95.6 (http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC_PVR....6.tar.bz2). Unpack with your fav unpacker. Find an USB-Stick 128mb or larger. Run the Create_installstick.bat file if your on a Windows OS. It will then format and move all files needed onto the USB stick. Move this USB stick to the Revo 70. Start your Revo and follow the info on screen. After about 2-3 minutes you have installed OpenElec. Now, adjust audio and video if needed to your likeings and add your movies, music or whatever.

OpenElec got an internal update function. This will update openelec to its latest version automaticaly (if you choose to).

Have fun.

seems so simple.
just a few questions
i have read there are a few driver issues when installing Openlec on to a lnux computer (my revo is on linux is this true)
also once installed openelec on revo am i able to use the fustion installer for my sources see link http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/f...-for-xbmc/
and once installed on revo how do i go about booting it straght to xbmc when revo starts up or does it do this automaticcly if not please explin how i ea rthat revo rl70 are funny what usb port they boot from
your ink does not work plese resend
There is no need for additional drivers on the Revo 70 after installing the latest Openelec Fusion build.
Your Revo will boot into XBMC automaticaly. No additional settings or tuning needed.

Imo you can't go wrong with Revo 70 and Openelec, it just works! No hassel.

Only thing as stated in several other posts, the inlcuded Remote is not working. If anyone get this working, let me know.
The IR receiver in the Revo 70 works, so any other MCE Remote, Harmony etc works like a dream.

(2012-08-19, 18:40)podgey3874 Wrote:
(2012-08-19, 17:57)emanon Wrote: Installing OpenElec on the Revo 70 is easy. Just download the latest Fusion build of Openelec, currently 1.95.6 (http://releases.openelec.tv/OpenELEC_PVR....6.tar.bz2). Unpack with your fav unpacker. Find an USB-Stick 128mb or larger. Run the Create_installstick.bat file if your on a Windows OS. It will then format and move all files needed onto the USB stick. Move this USB stick to the Revo 70. Start your Revo and follow the info on screen. After about 2-3 minutes you have installed OpenElec. Now, adjust audio and video if needed to your likeings and add your movies, music or whatever.

Have fun.

seems so simple.
just a few questions
i have read there are a few driver issues when installing Openlec on to a lnux computer (my revo is on linux is this true)
also once installed openelec on revo am i able to use the fustion installer for my sources see link http://www.xbmchub.com/blog/2012/04/24/f...-for-xbmc/
and once installed on revo how do i go about booting it straght to xbmc when revo starts up or does it do this automaticcly if not please explin how i ea rthat revo rl70 are funny what usb port they boot from
your ink does not work plese resend

To save from any misunderstandings I will do a video on exactly how to install OpenElec and XBMCbuntu. I personally will probably be using XBMCbuntu or XBMC on Ubuntu as I want to have the option to use a desktop for some things too.

This will be in the coming weeks.
Great thanks
What about the link to install sources and repos etc I sent you will this work
Or we're when installed Openelec to revo do I get my sources repos from or add more eg from zip file on xbmc settings?
(2012-08-19, 19:09)emanon Wrote: There is no need for additional drivers on the Revo 70 after installing the latest Openelec Fusion build.
Your Revo will boot into XBMC automaticaly. No additional settings or tuning needed.

Only thing as stated in several other posts, the inlcuded Remote is not working. If anyone get this working, let me know.
The IR receiver in the Revo 70 works, so any other MCE Remote, Harmony etc works like a dream.
.Great thanks
Or we're when installed Openelec to revo do I get my sources repos from or add more eg from zip file on xbmc settings?

(2012-08-19, 19:50)podgey3874 Wrote: What about the link to install sources and repos etc I sent you will this work
If I understand you correctly, your asking how to install repos on openElec. You may find it easier to download them on your desktop to a USB stick and then install from zip file the same way you would with XBMC.
Guide to building an all in one Ubuntu Server - TV(vdr),File,Music,Web

Server Fractal Designs Define XL, Asus P5QL/EPU, Dual Core E5200, 4gb, L4M-Twin S2 v6.2, Supermicro AOC-USAS-L8I, 1*SSD & 13*HDD drives (24TB total) - Ubuntu Server
XBMC 1 ASRock Z77E-ITX, G850, 8GB RAM, SSD, BD - Ubuntu / OpenElec frodo
XBMC 2 Revo 3700 - OpenElec frodo
XBMC 3 Raspb Pi
(2012-08-19, 19:50)podgey3874 Wrote:
(2012-08-19, 19:09)emanon Wrote: There is no need for additional drivers on the Revo 70 after installing the latest Openelec Fusion build.

.Great thanks

I'm not sure what you're asking to be honest. I haven't had time to look into installing everything yet to be honest. I won't be getting the RL70 for a few weeks yet anyway so I won't be finding anything out for a while because I'll only forget it and have to look it up again anyway.
Can't find where to buy the RL70 model with BD and TV Tuner. Anyone found one of these. I live in Australia.

Is there a model with DVD drive and TV Tuner?
I don't know where you would get one of these in Australia. I got mine from eBuyer.com which is a British site. If you know anyone in the UK that would be nice enough to get you one that's the only place I can suggest.
Thanks - I found them there too. Are you happy with yours?
I don't have mine yet. I won't be getting it for a few weeks yet (I had someone else buy it for me).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Acer Aspire Revo RL70 Nettop Advice or Alternatives0