Linux BER and SNR signal meaning?
Hello,

I use latest xbmc pvr build and latest tvheadend fork for xbmc. And I'm not sure how some signal quality indicators should be interpreted. For example:
- SNR: 82%
- BER: 0002DF94

SNR should be measured in dB and BER should look like 2x10e-4, so what does "0002DF94" mean? Is this any useful representation or some random characters only? Is this possible to translate these values to standard units, or I should not treat them as useful? I'm most confused with BER value, because its value don't tell me anything.
I've no idea about the specifics of the display.

But if you're using latest tvheadend from github.com/andoma/tvheadend then signal status updates have been removed because they cause stability issues (if you want to know the details check issue #1029 on lonelycoder.com issue tracker).

So this might just be junk?

Adam
Edit: just checked and opdenkamp's fork is also up to date, so I'd say its pretty unlikely you're getting any signal status info back from TVH.

So what XBMC is displaying is possibly just uninitialised data?
Sorry, seems like I don't have very latest opdenkamp's tvheadend version (I use fork, not original version). I think it's compiled 2-3 months ago. I have signal strength, snr, ber and unc indicators. Have no idea about BER and UNC, but signal strength and SNR points to real and usable values.

Do you mean all of them are removed from TVH and there are no any signal indicators available any longer? Not very good news, signal strentgth and SNR was very usable for me, because I have bad signal and I often use them to correctly setup my antenna. Without this, it will be difficult to find best signal and I will need to use Kaffeine or other software to do this.

I'm going to update to latest version, but - if there are no any signal indicators anymore, I'm not sure if I really want to update...
Yeah,

The reason, I think (I've not reviewed the change) was that andoma didn't have proper locking around accessing the data (because it slowed things down on channel start) which meant in some scenarios it would crash.

It might be possible to add it back in in another way, I'll have to take a look. But for now, yes its not in the latest TVH builds.

Adam
these indicators have been removed for now and will be re-added at a later time, in a proper way. tvh not crashing > indicators
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
When should I expect they will be added again? Is there any plans? In this situation, I'm not sure if I want to update TVH. Personally, I never experienced any crashes. It crashes often only if signal is very bad.
when I or someone else has time to fix it. low prio for me.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
But should be added again, have no idea about priorities and what else is remaining to be done but these indicators are quite useful, so don't forget this when you have some time
For now you can just run femon if you need these numbers for your signal.
Do you mean vdr with femon plugin?
Hello,

I can see signal indicators are working again (good news). But, I still don't know about BER indicator, for example: BER=0000061D. Does it mean anything, or just random value?

If this means error count (similar as TV indicators), but in hex (in this case: 1565), it will be good idea to display as dec (human readable value), instead of hex value.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
BER and SNR signal meaning?0