Linux Any motherboard with infrared remote that *just works*
Hi all,

Does anybody have a recommendation for a motherboard that features an integrated IR receiver that just works without any tweaking? I'd like something where I can simply boot XBMCbuntu from the distribution iso, point a remote at the IR receiver, and have everything work including suspend and wake (and ideally even wake from power-off).

Background: I'm currently going through my third iteration of building a dedicated XBMC box. For some reason it seems like every time I do this it is the remote control (especially suspend/wake) that always causes me grief. In the past I've tried fancy solutions from the Antec VERIS line as well as external USB dongles. It seems like something always just doesn't quite work right and this is really dragging down the Wife-Acceptance-Factor and Child-Usability-Factor for anything I try. The HTPC I'm building now is theoretically going to go into the living room and replace a bunch of existing gear, but only if I can make it work as seamlessly.

Currently I'm making this a build based on an Intel DG45ID motherboard. I had this motherboard (and associated components) laying around from another project and it seemed like it would be perfect for this task; it features an integrated Winbond CIR chip that has theoretically been supported in the kernel since 2.6.39. In practice, however, I find I'm already going down a rabbit hole trying to tweak things to get it to function.

I can find tons of posts where people are struggling to get one solution or another working, but not so many where people say "this motherboard works flawlessly, with the out-of-the-box distribution, with zero tweaking". So what say you all? What motherboard would you suggest for someone who wants things to just work?

Thanks!
http://shop.inteset.com/Products/13-inte...l-cir.aspx

I have this ordered. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow. I have a intel mobo with a cir header. I'll let ya know how it turns out. If it doesnt turn out, I'm just gonna read and read and read and read these forums till I force it to work. PC may end up on the wall a few times, but I will figure out this remote. I also email the people that make that combo and they say it works well with linux. Good luck to me. Smile
(2012-07-26, 20:04)malibu327 Wrote: I have this ordered. Hopefully it will be in tomorrow. I have a intel mobo with a cir header. I'll let ya know how it turns out. If it doesnt turn out, I'm just gonna read and read and read and read these forums till I force it to work. PC may end up on the wall a few times, but I will figure out this remote. I also email the people that make that combo and they say it works well with linux. Good luck to me. Smile

I really hope you have luck with that. I have the exact same CIR receiver on my DG45ID (Intel mobo w/ CIR header) and it doesn't "just work". I've solved part of the problem (see thread here) but I still don't have a working remote. At the least there is a kernel problem that prevents the CIR from being recognized. For what it is worth, the DG45ID was one of the earlier Intel mobos with CIR, so maybe the bugs have been worked out on newer boards. My hope was that since the DG45ID was so "mature" I wouldn't have any problems. Sad

P.S. Just to be clear, my current problem is support for the CIR on the Intel DG45ID, not any problem with the Inteset receiver itself.
I was just looking at your mobo and I see what you are talking about it being built on. Does it have a cir header you could plug this Inteset into?
Yes. The DG45ID motherboard has the exact same CIR header as all the other Intel CIR motherboards. Getting CIR to work requires two parts. First you have to have a CIR port integrated somewhere in the chipset (typically in the Super I/O). Then you have to have an infrared transceiver that connects to the CIR port. The Inteset CIR module fills the second part of that need, but it isn't a complete IR solution in and of itself, it is only any good if you can connect it to a motherboard that has the CIR port.

We'll see where I get to after spending a few more hours debugging this solution. I increasingly think that a wake-on-USB solution might be more robust, and I'm open to reconsidering the entire build I had planned (hence this post).
I have an update for ya Zoofinator. The Inteset setup wouldnt work for me because I'm an idiot. The nice owner directed me to something that would work for mine though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6800999237

I plugged this in yesterday and it worked out of the box. Powers it on from being off. I'm not sure if it's shutting it down, hibernate, or suspend mode, but it does one of the three. It functions well in XBMC also.
(2012-08-02, 21:18)malibu327 Wrote: I have an update for ya Zoofinator. The Inteset setup wouldnt work for me because I'm an idiot. The nice owner directed me to something that would work for mine though.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6800999237

I'm sure you aren't an idiot. Could you explain exactly what went wrong with your original plan? My guess is that you didn't have an Intel brand motherboard, but a Biostar brand Intel compatible motherboard instead. That would explain why you had to go with a different IR receiver module.

I have no idea why the industry can't standardize on a CIR header, it sound like there are at least three different versions out there. The good news for you is it sounds like you have it working (I'm still banging my head trying to get mine to do anything).
You caught me. My brand is Biostar and not Intel. That's what makes me an idiot. But you're right, it is good news for me that the inteset guy sent me where I needed to go.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any motherboard with infrared remote that *just works*0