Visualisation plugin API for XBMC
(snq @ oct. 15 2005,12:52 Wrote:i have no idea how to output debug strings or i would've figured it out myself Wink
i have no idea how to help you with the other stuff, but you can always use printf inside a dll to get debug output.

greets

bobbin007
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

snq, this plugin ?!?

:bowdown:
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

(bobbin007 @ oct. 15 2005,12:57 Wrote:
(snq @ oct. 15 2005,12:52 Wrote:i have no idea how to output debug strings or i would've figured it out myself Wink
i have no idea how to help you with the other stuff, but you can always use printf inside a dll to get debug output.

greets

bobbin007
where do i see the output in that case?
i tried just doing printf("test") but nothing shows up on the screen..

anyway, i got the audio processing stuff pretty much sorted now.. unfortunately the power goes down over here about once every 10 minutes, makes testing kind of a pita Sad the fact that i have to run around between the bedroom where i have my pc and the livingroom where i have my xbox doesn't make things easier either Smile
(pike @ oct. 15 2005,13:55 Wrote:snq, this plugin ?!?

:bowdown:
hehe, yea that's an old one :lol:
i completely forgot i had that page. ".... this new, soon to be released version ...." hehe.. i never released anything :d
that's not the one i'm taking the code from tho because it uses opengl..
but i got a couple more plugins Wink

eonic2

cubes

btw, wasn't it you that contacted me a couple of years ago about porting the cubes one for xbmp? i didn't have an xbox back then, i finally bought one last week Smile
(snq @ oct. 15 2005,15:01 Wrote:
(bobbin007 @ oct. 15 2005,12:57 Wrote:
where do i see the output in that case?
i tried just doing printf("test") but nothing shows up on the screen..
the output of the printf statement is written to the logfile (q:\xbmc.log) if you have set the log level to debug in xboxmediacenter.xml. if your xbox is attached to the vs.net debugger its also written to the debug output window.

greets

bobbin007

@snq, yeah, i got a crap memory, but i know i tried to contact lots of viz makers back then

glad you "saw the light" and got yourself an xbox Smile some real 3d vizes would be nice, milkdrop is 90% cpu i've been told.

would also be nice to get eonic/2 later maybe, hehe

btw, mrc is probably fluent with our vis-api by now, let's hope he finds this thread soon'ish so you can get some help. i read over at winamp forums you like well documented things, sadly our devs dont have time to do both (dev & document)

lycka till

yea i kinda felt like some 3d action was missing Wink

eonic2 for xbmc is unfortunately impossible because i don't own the code.. i got paid for making that one Smile but maybe cubes, that might be a good start.
i'm gonna have to write some kind of test framework so i can run the code on my pc, running around thru the house is driving me nuts and i don't want to move either the pc or the xbox.. and it will for sure drive my gf nuts as well when she gets back next week if i'm running back and forward between the bedroom and the livingroom like 20 times per hour Wink

not much to complain about docs here.. i got most info i needed from this thread and from the sources available. developing for winamp3 was a total disaster Smile
Sad 
@snq, have you setup a xdk debug enviroment on your xbox (debug-bios and xdk-launcher/dashboard) so that you can debug over network via visual studio .net 7.1 on your pc?
http://xbox-scene.com/articles/debug-xdk.php
http://www.hydras-world.com/index.php?pa...ailtodebug
http://xbox-scene.com/tutorials.php?p=503|#503
http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....;t=2113
no i haven't set up a debug environment.. as i said i only got an xbox last week so i'm quite a newbie. i bought it mainly for playing games and having a media center so i don't want to risk screwing it up by trying out things i don't understand yet Wink

developing has a lower priority than the rest right now (got enough non-xbox developing to do for work Smile), but i'll read up on converting it to a developers xbox and see what i'll do. it would for sure be quite handy. for now i just finished a piece of code that lets me put text on the screen, i'll use that for debugging.
Thumbs Up 
(snq @ oct. 15 2005,18:29 Wrote:i don't want to risk screwing it up by trying out things i don't understand yet Wink
the "phoenix bios loader" way of running a xdk-debug-enviroment on a xbox is 'non-intrusive', you simply launch the enviroment like any xbox-application or game:
Quote:so you want to make a retail xbox into an xdk debug, but don't want to switch bios banks, don't have a chip with 512k+ capacity, don't want to mess up your evox/other dash, and still want to be able to play backups and retail games? easy!

this method will allow you to run the xdk dashboard alongside your regular dash, with no interference or side-effects, no need to flash your bios or switch banks, and is launchable directly from evox/your favourite dash.
just make sure you read through all the instructions in these guides to get an overall understanding before start and you should have no problems at all :d

ps! know that there several derivatives and alternatves to "phoenix bios loader"; such as "frosted bios loader", "nkpatcher", "pbl - the metoo edition" and "pbl-lite"

edit: ...however if you insist on not using xdk and debug-bios to help you then you might still find xdebugserver (by blackbelt) interesting Confusedaint:
(the xdebugserver is a debug-server for developers without debug-bios and what our developers used before debug-bioses was available).

@snq

great work so far mate, your vis is looking very cool.

the problem you were having with drawindexedprimitive not working is because xbmc doesn't currently support it. i have tried to add it but it is currently crashing for some unknown reason.

i have added drawindexedvertices support to xbmc so you might want to get latest code from cvs and try using that instead of drawindexedprimitiveup, it should be a lot faster with large meshes. drawindexedprimitive uses drawindexedvertices anyway.

btw, if you need any d3d functions that are not currently supported you can add them in exports_xbox_dx8.cpp. any functions that you try to use that are not supported will be shown in the log file.

let me know if you have any other probelms or if there is anything that i can help you with.

cheers

mrc
drawindexedprimitive now supported with latest code in cvs.

calling convention is slightly different. you need to use d3ddrawindexedprimitive instead of calling it on the device and  it needs externed and added to your xbox_dx8.def file used to build your lib.

eg.

Quote:extern "c" void d3ddrawindexedprimitive(d3dprimitivetype primtype, unsigned int minindex, unsigned int numvertices, unsigned int startindex, unsigned int primcount);

void render()
{
   g_pd3ddevice->setvertexshader(d3dfvf_myvertex);
   g_pd3ddevice->setstreamsource(0, g_vertexbuffer,sizeof(myvertex));
   g_pd3ddevice->setindices(g_indexbuffer, 0);
   d3ddrawindexedprimitive(d3dpt_linestrip, 0, 0, 0, 3);
}

and in your xbox_dx8.def you need to add:

d3ddrawindexedprimitive

hope that helps.

mrc
@MrC
thanks!

while you're at it, could you add support for the visibility testing functions?
idirect3ddevice8::beginvisibilitytest
idirect3ddevice8::endvisibilitytest
idirect3ddevice8::getvisibilitytestresult
i was hoping to do some neat flare effects using that, it would be great if those functions were supported Smile

tia!
Information 
idirect3ddevice8::beginvisibilitytest
idirect3ddevice8::endvisibilitytest
idirect3ddevice8::getvisibilitytestresult

are all now supported.

let me know if you need anything else.

mrc
thanks again!

i got pretty sick of running around thru the house while testing, so i decided to make a windows app for testing plugins.. which was of course easier said than done Wink
the goal is to have an app that can run (or at least try to run) existing .vis files without any further changes needed. it's kind of a pain in the ass because the dx8 sdk and xbox sdk use completely different enums, so basically eg every renderstate needs to be translated to pc constants, but i've come a long way with that..
i made my own xbox_dx8.dll which contains all the d3d stuff and does all the translating. the only problem i'm still looking for a solution for is that textures are never swizzled on pc afaik. and of course some stuff is just not supported on pc.
but, to give you an idea, below is a screenshot of what i got so far. the flare in the middle is buggy, i'm working on that. what it loads it the exact same .vis file as i would upload to my xbox. the only thing i did is temporarily remove the texture swizzling because right now i'm working on the drawing functions.
full source will be released when it's more stable Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Visualisation plugin API for XBMC0