Miracast - Airplay for non-apple devices
Hi all,

This took my interest today:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6116/nvidi...cification

basically AirPlay but for non-apple devices, open (apparently) and now nvidia is supporting it as well. Could be worth keeping an eye on as it develops.

As always; thanks for XBMC

Chris!

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
..and now it's supported by Android (4.2).

http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news/and...s-display/
+1
Just had my friend use his iphone with airplay on my XBMC and I was a little jealous. Would love to have a comparable feature for android!
I agree! This would be a great addition to XBMC.

100% +1 on this as a feature request...
Agree.. Would be great to have this feature.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
not for Frodo, we are way past feature freeze.
(2012-10-30, 16:52)davilla Wrote: not for Frodo, we are way past feature freeze.

Should someone create a ticket in the bug tracker about it? Since this is going to be big, no doubt, it would be good to get the work started soon and I guess then for v13 G*?
Could this be an addon? I though airplay will be an addon at some point (?)
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
(2012-10-30, 16:52)davilla Wrote: not for Frodo, we are way past feature freeze.
Unfortunate due to the fact that the next version after Frodo, I would have to assume, is way over a year away, but completely understandable.

(2012-10-30, 22:45)Ilia Wrote: Could this be an addon?

Would like to know this also.
addon... doubtful, just read the white paper and think about it a bit.
(2012-10-31, 06:07)davilla Wrote: addon... doubtful, just read the white paper and think about it a bit.
I've read claims that it's an open standard, but from an XBMC developers point of view just how open is it really? Is it something that's feasible for XBMC? Note I'm not asking for any commitment just whether integration would seem to be possible from a technical point of view sometime in the future if it was of interest to someone to code it.
(2012-10-31, 13:12)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2012-10-31, 06:07)davilla Wrote: addon... doubtful, just read the white paper and think about it a bit.
I've read claims that it's an open standard, but from an XBMC developers point of view just how open is it really? Is it something that's feasible for XBMC? Note I'm not asking for any commitment just whether integration would seem to be possible from a technical point of view sometime in the future if it was of interest to someone to code it.

According to the (short) Wikipedia article, it has a DRM layer similar to HDMI. There may be some challenges that the server strictly cannot handle, for example converting a DRM encrypted Miracast signal to VGA. It sounds like the DRM decryption must still be done in the same way as before (by the TV), but I'm not an expert. At all.

Edit I can't find any server implementations for Windows or Linux. Maybe somebody can post a link here, or a better explanation as to what the challenges (or theoretical limits) are.

Edit 2 By the way, for you Android users out there, check out Bubble UPnP. It does much of this for us already using XBMC's UPnP server / client capabilities. You can play movies from your phone / tablet on your TV, or show phone pictures on your TV easily, or watch your XBMC movies on your phone / tablet.
(2012-10-31, 15:29)SorryGoFish Wrote: According to the (short) Wikipedia article, it has a DRM layer similar to HDMI. There may be some challenges that the server strictly cannot handle, for example converting a DRM encrypted Miracast signal to VGA. It sounds like the DRM decryption must still be done in the same way as before (by the TV), but I'm not an expert. At all.

Edit I can't find any server implementations for Windows or Linux. Maybe somebody can post a link here, or a better explanation as to what the challenges (or theoretical limits) are.

Edit 2 By the way, for you Android users out there, check out Bubble UPnP. It does much of this for us already using XBMC's UPnP server / client capabilities. You can play movies from your phone / tablet on your TV, or show phone pictures on your TV easily, or watch your XBMC movies on your phone / tablet.
Yes my understanding is that Miracast uses the same HDCP content protection as HDMI, thus I assumed this would be handled by hardware so as long as you had a HDCP source & sink in the hardware either end it would work. What I meant by open is that the standards and documentation are freely available to allow developers to incorporate the standard into applications without paying licence fee's, and that was there anything else that would hold it back from being added to XBMC.

nice, need to pay $200 for the spec, this alone suggests some anti open source model.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Miracast - Airplay for non-apple devices2