Looking to build a more advanced HTPC, ideas?
I currently have an AMD A4-3300, 8gb RAM (it was a special), 1TB Samsung drive (also a special), and a Xonar DG soundcard (need optical out), running OpenElec. It gets all content over 1gb Ethernet from a Synology DS1511+ with 5x2TB Samsung drives. After working with modified ATV's, WDTV's, and a couple PC versions, I'm thinking about tackling something a little more advanced. Here's a few things I want to accomplish:

1. Switch to Intel/NVIDIA. I'm sick of high CPU usage and compatibility issues with ATI stuff. While most of these have been resolved, I'd like to go 100% and take advantage of the 64-bit OpenElec and VDPAU.
2. I currently access the NAS over Ethernet. I'm considering using eSATA. While that sort of bandwith isn't even remotely necessary, remember this is a project for my own amusement Smile
3. I really really want to be able to play 3D movies from the NAS. I know OpenElec's 3D support is pretty limited, but I've heard I can do it from a BR image. This is acceptable. I have a BR burner I seldom use, I could put this in as well.
4. I've thought it would be cool to integrate MAME (or more)
5. I would switch to an SSD (I have a spare Samsung 830 128gb from my laptop), but for some reason my current Asrock motherboard reboots right at POST with it connected :/
6. Thinking about a TV tuner, but it's not necessary right now. I live with a friend who has satellite, so this isn't a high priority.
**7. This has been a big one, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon: use BSD so I have a more stable and faster OS. But I've heard the hardware support will make this definitely not worthwhile.

Recommendations on hardware? As for Intel, I'm thinking of going Sandy Bridge, maybe an i3.
Any other novel ideas? I've gotten so bored I have my Harmony One controlling my A/C LOL.
In case you want to go with Linux builds like OE in my opinion the perfect board for a HTPC is Zotac D-2700-itx, or ZBox ID80. In particular if you want to use it for TV where de-interlacing is important. The GT520M has no problems playing 1080i@60 at highest quality (temporal/spatial). The board only draws 58W at maximum load and is extremely silent. I am just building me a new box with this board.

Not sure what you expect from 3D. We don't support multi-view decoding and hw decoders don't support full size 3D. Half size 3D is fine.
Thats fine if half SBS is all that's supported. Will XBMC distinguish and play this just fine?
I'm also very willing to not use Linux, if I can find better performance elsewhere. The startup time of OpenElec means very little to me...hence why I've been considering running on BSD.
XBMC is not aware of playing half SBS, it plays it like a normal video. You just need to set your TV to 3D.

XBMC is platform agnostic but performance depends a lot on the capabilities of the platform. E.g with Frodo thread priorities will come for Linux which are inevitable for smooth playback over a longer period of time. Afaik BSD does not support RLIMIT_NICE, hence no thread priorities which are implemented as nice levels.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking to build a more advanced HTPC, ideas?1