Win AVI playback stuttering only at HDTV resolutions
Hi all,

I am hoping someone has an idea on other things I can try to resolve this issue I am having that I just can't seem to work out. First, here are my system specs and software:

Luxa 2 Mini Case
Intel Core i3 @ 2.8Ghz
4GB RAM
250GB HDD
Nvidia GT520
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
QNAP TS-410 Pro (4 x 1.5TB HDD connected via Gigabit Ethernet)
Onkyo HT-R670 Receiver with 7.1 Speaker Setup
Samsung 55" LED 3D TV
Soundgraph IMon Manager
Haali Media Splitter
XBMC 11.0

Here is the issue I am having. Whenever I playback AVI files the picture is not smooth, you can see that it stutters slightly. The sound is perfect. I have done tried a number of things (which I have listed below) and can find what causes the issue every time, but I have no idea how to solve it.

My HTPC is connected via the HDMI port on the Nvidia GT520 to the Onkyo receiver, which in turn outputs the display to the TV via HDMI (I also have a PS3 and Cable TV box connected to the receiver that have no issues). In the Nvidia Control Panel (NCP) under Change Screen Resolution, many resolutions are available. The resolutions are grouped into two sections, called HDTV and PC. The resolutions under the heading HDTV are all the usual ones, such as 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, etc. If I select any of these resolutions two things happen:

1. The desktop is too large for the TV and I have to use the resizing options of the NCP to reduce the desktop to fit the TV display
2. Playback of AVI files suffers stuttering

If I select any of the resolutions under the PC heading in the NCP (resolutions such as 1680x1050, 1600x1200, etc) the following happens:

1. The desktop fits perfectly to the TV but appears slightly stretched and blurry (as to be expected)
2. Playback of AVI files is perfect

I do not understand this at all. The native resolution of the TV is 1920x1080 but that causes stutters and the screen has to be reduced to fit the display. A non-standard resolution for the TV fits perfectly and playback is fine.

I took the HTPC into my study and connected it to my 27" Samsung LED Monitor (the nvidia control panel no longer showed HDTV and PC resolutions as two seperate groups, just one long list) and set the resolution to 1920x1080 and playback was perfect. It's only when I select a resolution that Nvidia lists as a HDTV resolution that I have problems.

I have tried the following with no luck so far:

1. Various versions of XBMC (nightlies and 12.0 Alphas)
2. Uninstall and re-install of XBMC 11.0 (made sure to remove the appdata)
3. Playback of an AVI directly from my QNAP NAS in Windows Media Player stutters
4. Playback of an AVI directly from the desktop in Windows Media Player stutters
5. Connected HDTV directly to the TV via HDMI (bypass the Onkyo Receiver) but experience the exact same issue
5. Formatted HDD and re-installed Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
6. Only software installed is hardware drivers from Intel (Chipset and USB 3 Drivers) and Nvidia Drivers

I am at a loss of what to try next. Does anyone have any ideas? This setup has worked perfectly for the past 8-10 months without a single issue. I surely must be missing something very simple.

Thanks,

CJ

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AVI playback stuttering only at HDTV resolutions0