Media Won't Play from iMac SMB connection
I have what appears to be a networking issue with media playback from a certain source. In an effort to troubleshoot, I should explain that I've got two separate sources for video files. This has helped me narrow down the problem.

1st Source - a FAT32 formatted external HD connected by USB to my wireless router. I have tried several different kinds of media from this source, including MKV, AVI, and M4V, codecs including XviD and H264 and each play without a problem. It works fine.

2nd Source - The setup that I appear to be having a problem with is an external hard drive connected to my iMac that I am connecting to through SMB as follows:
External HD (Mac Journaled) --> iMac --> Shared via SMB --> ATV2 --> XMBC

XMBC appears to connect fine to the iMac. I receive no errors in connection, and the file manager "sees" the data, both in the External HD (video media) and in the iMac (mp3's). It also loads all metadata for the files with the following exception:
1 - It doesn't load the metadata for the MP3's (it is in the mp3 itself)
2 - It doesn't load the media information (definition, sound, source, aspect ratio, etc.) that appears in the media information window.

To me, this indicates that it sees the file name, but not the contents of the data. In an effort to troubleshoot, I rechecked permissions to make sure that any user connecting would have permission to view the file. In fact, on the external HD, I took all ownership permissions off the same.

When I attempt to playback any media from this particular network connection source, I get the following error: "Playback failed. One or more items failed to play. Check the log file for details."

Platform - Apple TV Version 2 Model MC572LL/A
Version of iOS - 5.0.2 (4250)
XBMC Build version - 11.0 Git:20120702-f3cd28 (Compiled : Jul 2 2012)
XMBC installed via Firecore aTV Flash (black) 1.7
debug log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=5761
skin name - Confluence
GUI problems - I really don't have any

The steps to create the problem are to attempt to play any media from the SMB share connection to the iMac. Therefore, for the debug log, I kept it really simple. Usually, it requires a couple of attempts to play the media to secure the error. I do not get the "working" icon in the bottom right corner, or any attempt to start the playing same when I attempt to play media from this source.

I'm fairly certain its a networking issue. I look forward to any input.
Solved, but not the way that I wanted to.

Right now, using the zeroconf setting, but its much slower than I would like. However, it works.

Zeroconf is just a method of discovery, so it should be using the same network path as if it were through the SMB option (more or less. I think one favors the NetBIOS name and the other favors the IP address). So if it's going slow then that could indicate a general issue with SMB on the network. One thing to check is if it is using the NetBIOS name and not an IP address (check it by selecting "edit source") then I would try replacing the name with the IP.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Media Won't Play from iMac SMB connection0