HDMI Audio not working properly
Hi All,

I just got a new receiver, Pioneer VSX-43, and am having difficulties connecting up my Intel NUC to it. Video is displaying just fine, but audio is giving me quite a bit of issues. It is not playing any audio, GUI or video, through the receiver. The receiver isn't; detecting any audio channels either. I have everything set to the HDMI that the receiver is on, since i can see the receiver name in the selection. When i switch my receiver over to pass-through the audio plays on the TV.

Can someone help me figure out where i've messed this up?

Thanks!
debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Here is the pastebin.

The Intel NUC that i'm using as the client has two HDMI outputs. I am selecting the one that is named "m_displayNameExtra: PIO VSX-43 on HDMI". It doesn't look like that is being detected as it's own device though, right?
There is really no explanation as to why this is not working. I also have an Acer Revo that i use for my bedroom. I took that out and plugged it in and everything is working FLAWLESSLY. They both are using the same version of OpenELEC and both have the exact same settings for audio output. Is there something inherently wrong with the Intel NUC? Is there something else that i should be trying on the NUC? How is it that it can pass-through audio to the TV but the receiver isn't getting it?!

I tried the iecset command that i've seen around, but it doesn't seem that OpenELEC has that. Any help would be much appreciated!
A lot of people here love the NUC, I am not sure why. It seems overpriced and some versions just seem faulty (doesn't really matter if it is a driver problem or a hardware problem, the result is unsatisfactory. I am referring specifically to eg the Haswell NUC thread on here).

Can't get to see your whole log at present - maybe a pastebin temporary outage.

From your description, it sounds like a HDMI sync/negotiation problem, but I am guessing here. I assume the amplifier is on when you boot the computer?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-11-28, 07:09)nickr Wrote: A lot of people here love the NUC, I am not sure why. It seems overpriced and some versions just seem faulty (doesn't really matter if it is a driver problem or a hardware problem, the result is unsatisfactory. I am referring specifically to eg the Haswell NUC thread on here).

Can't get to see your whole log at present - maybe a pastebin temporary outage.

From your description, it sounds like a HDMI sync/negotiation problem, but I am guessing here. I assume the amplifier is on when you boot the computer?

Yes, the receiver is on when the computer is booted. It seems to just be audio issues. Video plays just fine which is why it's so weird. It looks like i might be able to use the Revo out in the living room.

Luckily i inherited the NUC system and it had been working fine before i had a receiver with HDMI inputs on it. Do you have any other recommendations besides the NUC for something that is small and affordable?
Yes, try a Zbox ID86 specifically not ID42 because it has hardware issues and also been discontinued.

I wouldn't buy anything else for XBMC (especially Linux) but Nvidia gpu units always just work and easiest to setup historically, and the cpu also not bad Atom D2550 (which can push through much work for SD content or GPU "agnostic" content (if thats a correct term) though I would personally prefer a box with internal CIR something many HTPC retails dont include even if easily resolved.
Any other suggestions on getting the Intel NUC working properly?
Have you gone through the NUC threads here? Or perhaps ask in one of them?
Yeah, i posted yesterday. Doesn't seem to be getting much traffic anymore. I just updated BIOs and everything. Hopefully they have some suggestions.
Here are some better logs for you to look through:

Here it is

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Audio not working properly0