Win My first Build: Phase 1 - parts
Hey,

I'm looking to start my first XBMC build. This will be a Windows build and I will need it to do a little bit more than just XBMC.
The build needs to run at least Subsonic and uTorrent but potentially other services and applications as required.
My main usage for XBMC will be local 1080P content but I would want it as capable as possible.

So far I've only purchased the chassis: BitFenix Prodigy
I can potentially get this supply at a bargain price: Corsair TX550M

The next parts I need to decide on...
Mobo: I was thinking the Asus P8H77-I because it is the cheapest Mini ITX board with 6xSATA that I can get my hands on
RAM: 2x4GB should be more than sufficient. Probably something like Kingston ValueRAM 1333. It is cheap and compatible.
CPU: This is one of my biggest questions. I don't want to get the bare minimum for running XBMC only considering I want the build to do more than just that. Is there a major advantage in going for IvyBridge over SandyBridge at the moment? Should I be looking at a T-series CPU? Dual or Quad? Potential options range from i3-2120T (2.6|Dual|35W) to i5-3470 (3.2|Quad|77W)...
GPU: I'm also quite clueless here. I'm assuming the GPU will only be used for XBMC. Something from NVidia, something low power, something passive? GT 610 1GB?
SSD: 60GB SandForce2 should be good enough for a OS drive?
HDD: Any recommendations here? Green, low power, low RPM models would be what I'm looking for, right?

Any assistance would be appreciated Smile
Take a look at my hardware guides. I answer all of these questions for you.
Also take a look at Eskro's build recommendations. He does a great job of comparing all flavors.
I'd also suggest taking a look at posts where there are pictures of the build in progress.
This'll give you an idea about case sizes, cpu coolers, wiring,.........
Good luck!
T-series CPU's are suited for small cases with deficient ventilation conditions as they produce less heat. You won't have that problem with the Bitfenix case though, so getting a "regular" CPU would probably be a better choice.

Picking a CPU really depends on what you want to do. The i5-3570K has a embedded HD4000 GPU that should more than cover your needs. Heavy gaming aside, of course. But cheaper CPU's with embedded HD2000 should work well with XBMC.

Good luck! I'm looking to build a HTPC myself but i still haven't made up my mind regarding what i really want to do lol
(2012-07-30, 12:28)assassin Wrote: Take a look at my hardware guides. I answer all of these questions for you.
Thanks for this. There is loads of information for me to process here!

(2012-07-30, 13:59)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Also take a look at Eskro's build recommendations. He does a great job of comparing all flavors.
I'd also suggest taking a look at posts where there are pictures of the build in progress.
This'll give you an idea about case sizes, cpu coolers, wiring,.........
Good luck!
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look at the Eskro build recommendations.
As mentioned in my initial post, I already have to case sorted.

(2012-07-30, 23:23)Whatever Wrote: T-series CPU's are suited for small cases with deficient ventilation conditions as they produce less heat. You won't have that problem with the Bitfenix case though, so getting a "regular" CPU would probably be a better choice.

Picking a CPU really depends on what you want to do. The i5-3570K has a embedded HD4000 GPU that should more than cover your needs. Heavy gaming aside, of course. But cheaper CPU's with embedded HD2000 should work well with XBMC.

Good luck! I'm looking to build a HTPC myself but i still haven't made up my mind regarding what i really want to do lol
Although I agree that the case has ample ventilation to support a non-T CPU, would I not benefit from the lower power draw for a 24/7 setup?

I was initially focusing on a dedicated GPU build. Perhaps I should reconsider this seeing as the HD GPU from Intel seems to run well enough. I'll definitely take a serious look at this. The build won't be for gaming at all, I have a dedicated rig for that.

Good luck to you too sir. Indeed it seems to be quite the process to decide what to buy Smile
T and non-T actually draw the same amount of power in real world testing.
(2012-07-31, 12:37)assassin Wrote: T and non-T actually draw the same amount of power in real world testing.

Reading up a bit more I've also come across this information. Thanks for the confirmation. I won't be bothering with the T-series then.

I'm thinking it might be worthwhile for me to wait a bit (a month or 2 I assume) for the i3-3225. It is estimated at 130€ and the HD4000 should provide more than enough power for my needs. And I also see that you mention it (HD4000) in your guide as an excellent choice.

So at the moment the build looks as follows:
Case: BitFenix Prodigy
CPU: i3-3225
Mobo: Asus P8H77-i
RAM: 2x4GB DDR3 1333 Kingston ValueRAM (I'm not set on this, I just have good experience with it in the past)
SSD: Intel 330 60GB
HDD: 3TB Green WD30EZRX + 2TB Spinpoint F3

The only other component that I need to decide on is the IR. I already have a Logitech Harmony 300 so I'll probably go with HP IR Receiver.
Don't forget the take pictures as you build and the final result. Then make sure you post them.
It always makes me smile when I see a build in progress and the final result.

Good luck,..you'll enjoy when completed.
BitFenix Prodigy nice case! enjoy.
(2012-07-31, 14:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Don't forget the take pictures as you build and the final result. Then make sure you post them.

I was not actually planning to log the build, but if I make a fellow member smile in the process, why not! Tongue

(2012-07-31, 14:31)Beer40oz Wrote: BitFenix Prodigy nice case! enjoy.

Thanks. I received it yesterday and I've dubbed it Chubby.

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. I'm looking forward to my stay here
(2012-07-31, 14:26)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: Don't forget the take pictures as you build and the final result. Then make sure you post them.

As requested I've started logging the build: Chubby Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first Build: Phase 1 - parts0