Random XBMC questions.
1.) If I`ve ripped a movie from Blu-Ray or DVD etc or downloaded. Is there a quick way to verify whether the movie will play for the full duration properly or do I need to actually have XBMC play through the entire movie from start to finish to make sure nothing unusual occurs during playback?

2.) Does XBMC handle HSBS 3D well? Still can't do Full SBS/Blu-Ray?

3.) For full Blu-Ray 3D rips - What do people here prefer using TMT5 or PowerDVD?

4.) If you're just looking to create a few .NFO files with XBMC is that easy enough to do?

Thanks!
1. If the ripping/encoding program you use is any good, it should use (or give you the option to use) a pre-set standard configuration that will "just work".

2. SBS is just a normal video in XBMC's eyes, so as long as you have the hardware that can play a video at that resolution, it should work.

3. BR rips can play within XBMC without using an external player. You would need an external player if there is DRM in the ISO or if you want to use BR menus.

4. Sure is. See NFO (wiki).
Thanks for the quick response...

But going back to question #1. Other than what you mentioned - Is there a way to test whether a movie will play all the way through without any hiccups (i.e. movie stops during playback) other than just leaving it on in the background?

Not really, best you can do with downloads is check the comments on the file (if any)

If they provide an md5 hash you could compare that to see if the files the exact same as the file from the site but all that tells you is the file you have is the same as the one from the site, wont tell you if the file already had errors.
(2012-07-31, 10:34)Fennec Wrote: Thanks for the quick response...

But going back to question #1. Other than what you mentioned - Is there a way to test whether a movie will play all the way through without any hiccups (i.e. movie stops during playback) other than just leaving it on in the background?

The only way to be 100% absolutely positively sure is to play it back from start to finish since every other method makes at least some assumptions.

Otherwise, I can tell you, if you ripped/encoded it yourself using software like Handbrake, you should not have any problems. I have transcoded well over 1000 DVDs and Blu-Rays myself using a process that I repeat each and every time, and I have NEVER had a playback issue.

If you download your videos, as unabatedshagie said, read the comments before downloading. If there are no comments, then download at your own risk and manually check that one. The internet community is usually pretty good about commenting when a particular posting is bad.
What is the proper naming convention for 3D movies in XBMC?

Do you just add 3DBD?

I.e. Avatar_3DBD.MKV?

This will work for all 3D formats? I.e. HSBS/Full SBS/Top Bottom/Full TB/Blu-Ray etc?
(2012-08-01, 05:28)Fennec Wrote: What is the proper naming convention for 3D movies in XBMC?

Do you just add 3DBD?

I.e. Avatar_3DBD.MKV?

This will work for all 3D formats? I.e. HSBS/Full SBS/Top Bottom/Full TB/Blu-Ray etc?

I've wondered this myself and tried NFO files but nothing works.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2012-08-01, 05:28)Fennec Wrote: What is the proper naming convention for 3D movies in XBMC?

Do you just add 3DBD?

I.e. Avatar_3DBD.MKV?

That depends entirely on the skin that you are using. The default skin has no 3D media flag.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random XBMC questions.0