Free mobo-which processor?
I've been wanting to build a group 6 htpc for nearly a year now to replace my P4 that can't playback hi def, but my budget is less than $300. Worked up a parts list over the weekend that came to nearly $500 without the windows license (flinch). So if I'm going to do this, it's going to be with slowly and opportunisticly acquired parts.

Saw this deal at Microcenter this morning - free mobo with AMD processor purchase. So my question is which processor should I look at pairing with this board to get the best bang for my buck?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_produc...id=0366104
$500,..wow,..that seems pretty steep to build a HTPC.
Why don't you add your parts list so we can see if you can get a better deal or use less expensive ones.

If you take a look at this GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P Ultra Barebones Kit, it should give you some idea of what you can get for less than $360

As far as the OS,..you could use Ubuntu.

I recommend against a "slow build". You typically have only 30 days to return defective or incompatible parts.
A big +1 on that.

Save and buy it all at once. Especially the mobo/processor/RAM are crucial to have all at the same time.
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2012-07-31, 13:53)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: $500,..wow,..that seems pretty steep to build a HTPC.
Why don't you add your parts list so we can see if you can get a better deal or use less expensive ones.

If you take a look at this GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2P Ultra Barebones Kit, it should give you some idea of what you can get for less than $360

As far as the OS,..you could use Ubuntu.

I suppose I should add that I would never recommend that you buy a barebones system,..since you're at their mercy as far as what parts they give you.
I only wanted to show what you could buy for less than the $500 you quoted.
As I said, post the parts you're considering.
(2012-07-31, 14:20)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I suppose I should add that I would never recommend that you buy a barebones system,..since you're at their mercy as far as what parts they give you.

I agree with this for what you get off-the-shelf from the bigger stores. However, there are some smaller HTPC-focused e-tailers that have good barebones with good quality parts.
This pre-built system seems like a really good deal.....Once they are back in stock.
Lenovo Refurb
Main HTPC:
Intel e4600 + AMD HD5450 + Antec NSK2480B case + 4gb ddr2 + Earthwatts 430 + 1.5tb Seagate 7200 + XBMC Rapier Qualar Mod Skin + Win7
Office HTPC/Ripper/Server:
AMD x4 635 + GT220 + Antec 300 case + 4gbddr3 + OCZ ModXStream 500 psu + 3x2tb WD green drives + Win7
(2012-07-31, 16:23)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2012-07-31, 14:20)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: I suppose I should add that I would never recommend that you buy a barebones system,..since you're at their mercy as far as what parts they give you.

I agree with this for what you get off-the-shelf from the bigger stores. However, there are some smaller HTPC-focused e-tailers that have good barebones with good quality parts.

Fair enough, and I agree.
Thanks for the quick responses!

Clarification on the desire for Windows - Netflix is a must have for me, and my understanding is that there is no viable way to get Netflix working in linux right now. I also want Blu ray support, which I think is easier in Windows. Considering an OEM license to reduce the price, although not thrilled that I won't be able to transfer it between systems later if needed.

Parts list from Newegg. This was my first stab at putting together a list from looking at various tutorials here and elsewhere. This will be a dedicated HTPC that needs to be capable of internet streaming and blu ray playback. I also have a Homerun HD hooked up to my network for OTA TV that I wanted the HTPC to be able to act as a DVR for (the P4 system I currently have, sadly, can record but not play back, rendering the whole antenna hook up useless unless I want to transfer files to another PC).

Case: nMEDIAPC Black Aluminum / Acrylic / Steel HTPC 5000B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case (Item #: N82E16811204035) $66.99
Mobo: ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS (Item #: N82E16813157260) $74.99
PSU: SeaSonic S12II 380B 380W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply (Item #: N82E16817151072) $53.99
Processor: AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D AD3870WNGXBOX
(Item #: N82E16819106001) $119.99
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT (Item #: N82E16820231422) $39.99
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Item #: N82E16822136769) $69.99
Disc Drive: LG Black 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA Model UH12LS29 LightScribe Support (Item #: N82E16827136246) $49.99

Total: $475.93

Desirable other: Small SSD for the OS.

Thanks again for all of the input! I'm not married to any of these parts, and although I'd prefer a nice AV-style case, I'm also thinking of just getting the cheapest thing that is relatively easy for a newb to figure out.
(2012-08-01, 00:49)Amblyomma Wrote: Thanks for the quick responses!

Clarification on the desire for Windows - Netflix is a must have for me, and my understanding is that there is no viable way to get Netflix working in linux right now. I also want Blu ray support, which I think is easier in Windows. Considering an OEM license to reduce the price, although not thrilled that I won't be able to transfer it between systems later if needed.

You'll be able to transfer that OEM license to another system. Don't count on being able to do it as much as you want though. I've replaced my processor once, and my mobo twice, and only on the last occasion did i run into any trouble with the license. And then it was just a simple phone call to get activation. So don't let OEM scare you!

Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
Good to hear about OEM license. Definitely less afraid now Smile

Spent some time trying to pare the build down today and scouting for better parts deals. I think I'm going to skip the SSD for now (1st priority upgrade down the line) and go with the cheapest standard desktop case that's not fugly I can find. I will console myself with the fact that I can always migrate the system to an attractive case when I'm rich and famous.

Mobo: BIOSTAR TA75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard $70

CPU: AMD A6-3500 Llano 2.1GHz (2.4GHz Max Turbo) Socket FM1 65W Triple-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6530D AD3500OJGXBOX $80

RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1609DS1S00 $44 (can probably shave a few more bucks off here with a sale)

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive $65 (again, can probably do better in terms of size or price with sale soon)

PSU: OCZ ZT Series 550W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandy Bridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom PURCHASED on sale for $40

Thoughts? Questions? Love to hear it!
Why would you pay $65 for a 320GB hard drive?

Just get the SSD for a few dollars more.

Its not just about the lowest cost. Its also about the lowest buyer's remorse.
(2012-08-02, 02:08)assassin Wrote: Why would you pay $65 for a 320GB hard drive?

Just get the SSD for a few dollars more.

Its not just about the lowest cost. Its also about the lowest buyer's remorse.

Ultimately I want an SSD for boot only and an HDD for short term storage (DVR type capabilities for OTA broadcasts). Since it's got to be one or the other right now, I'll go HDD, but I appreciate the sentiment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Free mobo-which processor? 0